I get Lonesome!

For some reason lately, I haven't felt like going into my sewing/quilting room to work. :( There shouldn't be any reason for it. There's a TV, my fur babies, radio, nice big windows to look out at the nice scenery. Then the snow came and I decided to move my sewing machine into the den next to the fireplace. That's where, after sewing for a few hours, I realized why I didn't want to go into the other room. I was lonesome for human company! My DH sits at his computer desk and works and watches TV. We don't talk much but we're "together". :D Anyone else get this way?

I understand.

When I go to my sewing room, I have the music playing loud (Pandora) and I choose to have happy pretty songs playing. I don't feel so lonely. But, it's good to get out and take a walk, get some fresh air....

So, with that in mind, perhaps you can make a "daily date" with your DH to take the dogs for a walk for 30 minutes at a set time every day. The fresh air and exercise will do your mind good. And there you have time to make small chit chat and conversation. This regular daily date to take the walk will help break up monotony. I think getting out and moving around, even for 20 minutes is good. Take deep breaths. Look at nature's simple beauties along the walk to appreciate. This keeps me centered.

(((hugs))) Shana

Me to. I go to my job at 6AM and work 8 hours in my office with little to no company. I have no windows (security and hurricane ready) and keep the door closed because the building is cold. After work, I go home to an empty house because my husband works at the dive shop until 9pm (weekends also). I don't have any family here and no close friend to hang out with. Thank goodness I love to work on quilts and stuff, which keeps my mind busy because I suffer from severe depression and anxiety. I do feel fortunate to have all you forum friends, who make me feel good and provide me with lots of laughs.

Isn't it funny how we all have the same feelings and concerns! I have my Freedom in a sunroom just off the living room so I always feel a "part" of the house...lol...I know I would not like being alone...although I am alone...lol Marvin, when he is home, makes many trips to see what I am doing but other than that it is me and my thoughts. I am so glad for this forum....feeling like I am getting to know each of you and also treasure the advice and ideas I get directly or indirectly! Thanks to you all and have a very Merry Christmas!!!!

The thing I have found that keeps me sane are audio books. Because so much of our movement is muscle memory, I found my mind screaming for something to think about. So I would stop quilting and go do something else. That behavior does not get quilts finished. The books keep my mind occupied while my muscles do the quilting. I think I am a little Attention Deficit too LOL. Sometimes I have to say just quilt to the end of this CD and then you can take a break. Works for me!

Oh, if only we all did live closer together, what fun we would all have! I work the evening shift, my DH works day shift, so don't see him much during the week, except in passing at work (work at the same company). AND he puts in alot of hours on the weekends. My mornings consist of some exercising (wish keeps me sane, but not skinny...as of yet, still hoping for that) and a little quilting before going to work.

Hey Connie... I'm only about 3 1/2 hrs from you, maybe we can get together sometime to hangout on a Saturday and do some quilting together.

Hi Barb,

Yes, I know what you mean. I think sewing and long arm quilting are very solitary and at time lonely occupations. Once I tried having my long arm out in a studio setting. I hated the long hours of solitude, and moved it back to the house. It now resides at the far end of our long living room area. There are times I bring my little Janome out and set it up on the kitchen table for piecing.

I'm fairly sure I could never have a separate studio across the parking area or lawn----there are days I like the solitude of course. But, I also like being in our home and I also disliked walking in the dark or rain from the outside or vice versa if it got late and I didn't notice and headed back to the house. Or I forgot something and had to walk back out and get whatever it was----I like being in the house period, and as close to my husband, the doggie and just everything going on in the house---if I want to plop down and read a book, my comfy chair is there. If I want to chat with hubby---he has to listen! :) It's warmer in the house too :)

I get out almost every morning for a long walk by the lake with my personal trainers Duke and Dillinger(mydogs). I'm sure people think I'm nuts some days as I walk a lot of times when it is pretty cold out there. But I bundle up and wear my face mask. The fresh air does me good. I think especially in the winter months we gotta get outside and get some fresh air otherwise with our type of work we could easily hybernate! I say my prayers right out loud while I'm walking...come to think of it I think they might haul me away. I'm sure they must be thinking "Who is that crazy lady with the face mask on who doesn't have enough sense to stay inside when its cold and she's always talking to herself"!!:D

Well I can see I am in good company. I share everyone's feelings of isolation when in my studio. I too have all the electronic companionship options in the studio TV, music, and computer, but it gets lonely sometimes. I'm very grateful to have all of you to keep me company when ever I find myself in need. Thank you all so much who share on this forum!!

Reading Shana's post about "looking at nature's simple beauties" reminds of this morning. I was in awe of how pretty even the weeds were as they were all frosty with snow. Wintertime is so pristine and beautiful!

Hi to you too Angie and Merry Christmas to all of you guys!!

I wish I could say it's pretty here!!! We really need some snow to cover up all the blah!!! I'm looking forward to Christmas Eve with my kids and Grands and then Christmas day with all of them plus my sister, her huband and 3 kids. This is kind of a special year since her twins are seniors in HS. They are probably going to different colleges next year---U of Mich and Mich State U. I think the time of us all being able to work the schedules to all be together are numbered so I'm really going to cherish this Christmas!!! With or without snow family is the best!!! Almost got everything done so it's time to add about 10 things to the list!!!

I guess I am in the same boat. DH sleeps in a few hours after I get up- sometimes he does not appear until 9:30 or 10 am. I get up between 5 am and 5:30. He nods off a few times during the day watching tv. But, after dinner, dishes and computer time..once I sit down, I am history. Asleep, usually by 9:30-10:00. It upsets him. But we have gone thru year of him telling me not to talk to him while he is watching something. I do not enjoy tv. He choess the shows and controls the remote. That is really not a problem as I would rather read a book...he rarely reads. Different strokes for different folks.

He cannot understand why I cannot sleep in until 8 or 9 am. My time clock is different...and I go strong all day long. I was never allowed as a child to sleep in past 7 am on weekends. When I worked, I had to be at m

y desk by 7 am...I got up at 5 am to shower, feed DH and the kids, make lunches and get to work by 7 am.

I was a cub scout leader, kept the books for little league etc., times have changed and he now helps with things. I just cannot, and have never been able to sleep in. The early morning is my most productive time of the in..cleaning, quilting, laundry etc.

This is too long. There i a show he wants me to come watch with him. Ugh!

What a good thread. I too thought it was just me. My room is in the basement which my DH did an awesome job on but I feel so secluded. I talk to the dog all day and just waiting for the day he talks back! LOL I can't have Millie in the living room too small so I am going to take time every few weeks and change something down there just to make it interesting. I think I will change out quilts on the wall about the only thing I can change. The aren't any windows in here so I am trying to find an old window and put a quilt behind it maybe I will think theres a window. LOL

Barb, it is lonely for me sometimes, too. My studio is in our basement so I'm removed from everyone else in the house. When I get too lonely I'll take little breaks and come upstairs to see what everyone is doing. I'll put the TV on or the radio and my faithful Fionna is always in the room with me to keep me company, even if it's only to bark at other animals on the TV! If I'm piecing I'll move my Janome to the kitchen table and that way I'm sure to see my guys...they can't go long without a snack you know! It is a pain moving everything upstairs then back down again, though. I dream of the day where I can have a studio next to the main living area with lots and lots of windows. Maybe one day.

I understand all the lonely, unmotivated feelings. My DH works and I am retired. Sometimes, in between projects, I just look at all my fabric and quilting books and I get a creative "fix". It is pointless to concentrate on my lonely feelings and expect my DH to solve it. I am responsible for what I do and how I feel. Everyone is on the right track: take a walk, call a friend, take a drive, go sightseeing at a quilt store, call me and we'll talk 580-352-2479. Thank goodness for this forum.

It seems a few of us have much the same situation in dealing with the black pit of hell called depression. Natural light and OTT lights help. Anxiety often partners with depression, but not always.

Coffee klatches would be wonderfull. I'd go meet some of the gals for pie and coffee or a light lunch, instead of going home or shopping as I ask..and he would stay as I wasn't able to drive much of that time. Sometimes I'd not stay either. Too awkward.

My need is time alone.. just an hour or so a day is good. It is next to impossible to get it even in THAT room. He often goes into the quilt room, (was a bedroom), to tell me what... well, I'll leave it there..

The only time I get alone time, unfortunately, is when I'm home alone, not long or often, or I am in the hospital. LOL, yup, even in the hospital I find time: alone time is great, for some of us.

Fresh air.. to sit/stand outside and breathe is good for those of us who can't walk but short distances, up hill, up a flight of stairs, etc. It can also mean less alone time..

He doesn't talk much beyond Yeah, uh huh, aww heck.. he watches ball games and races when in the house and Myth Busters at night.. I don't prefer any of them.. Animals, cops now and then, the Alaska shows, Wipe Out and Extreme makeovers when not busy or in bed very early.

So I'll trade some of your alone time for my constant contact time.

God Bless,

Barb--so glad you brought up this topic. I thought I was the only lonely person. Have complained that it is hard to make friends in a new community. I don't know what I would do without the long arm to occupy me. Yes, my husband also naps and controls the remote but he goes to bed early and then I have the remote or I can quilt until midnight. My cats keep me company when I quilt and my machine is in the living/dining room so I can quickly step into the den if I hear something interesting on the TV.

The forum is always part of my day. Looking at the beautiful quilts, checking to see if someone has recovered from their illness, what new gadget/toy someone has purchased.

Archived