TOWA Bobbin Case Tension Gauge

jrwsma

I've seen mention of the use of the subject tension gauge in these forums, but haven't found a topic focused on its use.

Does this gauge work for George? If so and anyone owns one, do you think it's worth the investment? Tension seems to be my nemesis, so if this gadget makes a difference when using George, I'd be interested in hearing about how you've used it and whether you're experience has been good, bad or indifferent.

Thanks and Happy New Year,

Laura in OH

Guest Linda S

I don't have a George, but the Towa Gauge helps to get your bobbin tension correctly adjusted, and I think it would work on any machine. They make them for L and M sized bobbins, and the owners of many different machines use them. I would not be without mine.

The Towa gauge is just a tool--it provides you with a way to measure the force required to pull thread through the bobbin case. It can be used with removable bobbin cases from any machine but comes in two sizes--M and L.

The key is knowing what measurement is best for the thread you are using. The way to find out that "sweet number" is to do stitch-outs with various weight threads both on top and in the bobbin.

If you are using King Tut as your top thread and BottomLine in the bobbin, a stitch-out will show if your threads are balanced--that is, if the stitch is being made in the center of the batting and not either on top or bottom of the fabric.

When the case is placed in the Towa gauge and the thread pulled around the pulleys, a firm pull will show you a number on the gauge. If there is bobbin thread showing on top of the fabric/batting/fabric sandwich, the bobbin needs to be tightened. This is done with the set-screw on the case, of course. Tighten the screw a bit and put in the gauge to measure the force. Try again on the fabric sandwich and if everything is perfect, write the gauge measurement for that specific thread combo down to keep for future reference.

For example, SoFine on top and BottomLine in the case requires a 17 or 18 measurement on the Towa--this is for MY machine and specifically for how tight I like my top tension. You will find the numbers that work for your machine and how tight you set your top tension.

As for is it worth the investment? In my case, absolutely! If you use the same thread every time, you will get perfect tension by trial and error eventually. But if you use all weights of thread both top and bottom, this little tool will pay for itself in time (and frustration) in a very short time.

Happy New Year and happy stitching to you!

Towa gauge is absolutely fabulous - no more guessing. When you adjust, think 3-5 minutes on a clock at a time - a little adjustment goes a long way.

I have found that the quality of the bobbin winder makes a huge difference in getting evenly wound bobbins. You also have to be careful about the thread ends when winding a bobbin - don't let any excess poke out the side/top.

Good luck!

Julia

• 2 years later...

Archived