U.S.P.S. Flat Rate Shipping Boxes for quilts

I learned something interesting today at my local Post Office about flat rate shipping boxes. I was going to mail a Christmas present that was small and didn't weigh much and only had a medium size USPS flat rate shipping box at home, so I threw it in there thinking that the rate would be less than a regular box. Well, I found out different. The Postal Clerk pointed out that postage for the flat rate box I used was $14.95, no matter what was in it. He said that if I had used a regular box, the postage would be $5.95 (the contents I was sending was light and only going about 150 miles). I chose not to send it in the flat rate box.

Here is the interesting part to me, as a professional quilter that often sends completed quilts through the mail. He said, if what you are sending is either heavy or going a long distance, it pays to use the flat rate shipping boxes. But if you are sending it anywhere within your state or region (he gave the example for Minnesota, that the region would be the upper midwest) and/or it is not heavy, then use a regular box. I said that most quilts I send are about 6.5 lbs (with the box); he said that weight is 'heavy.'

So, it sounds to me like it would be the best deal for me when sending quilts to use US Postal Service flat rate shipping boxes. The clerk also said that you can reuse these boxes.

Just thought I'd share.

Not only that, you can print the shipping label off the USPS website and don't need to stand forever in lines.

But a word of caution. My husband was shipping a 5.95 price box for our business and had some stamps that the PO sold him for another box. He stuck them on and dropped it in the mail. 3 days later it came back to us with a sticker saying that stamped priority boxes will not be delivered unless they go through the counter person. Each day is a new goodie to remember.

I understand and thanks for sharing the info. But I have a question.

I think that the Large Flat Rate Box dimensions are Size:12" x 12" x 5 1/2"

Can you squeeze a finished quilt in a box size:12" x 12" x 5 1/2" ?

You probably can if it's not too big. Over time, I've developed a folding technique and I can get a lap size quilt folded up into a large flat rate size box place it in a baggie and squish the air out of it. :) Where there is a will there is a way!

Originally posted by quiltmonkey

I understand and thanks for sharing the info. But I have a question.

I think that the Large Flat Rate Box dimensions are Size:12" x 12" x 5 1/2"

Can you squeeze a finished quilt in a box size:12" x 12" x 5 1/2" ?

You probably can if it's not too big. Over time, I've developed a folding technique and I can get a lap size quilt folded up into a large flat rate size box place it in a baggie and squish the air out of it. :) Where there is a will there is a way!

I guess that is something else new that I saw in the post office today, Shana. When I have gone online, the 12x12x5.5 was the biggest box available. But today when in the PO, they had the boxes made up and hung from the wall, and one had larger dimensions. Guess I'll stop back there and take a closer look at the size and let you know if it was my imagination or not!

OK yeah, they have bigger boxes there but they are not marked red white and blue Priority with the eagle on it. I think those are the flat rate boxes.

PS: I've been at the PO waiting in line and see this man with two hand trucks stacked with these large flat rate boxes filled with heavy things. I can only imagine canned goods? Rocks? Who the heck knows...but they were all in the large priority boxes and they were very very heavy. It took him effort to lift these boxes onto the counter, and he had literally stacks of them. I stood there in line, GLARING along with everyone else because it was probably 30 minutes for him to get processed at that window. Yeah, so I have a FT job and my only time is during lunch hour and standing in line with 20 other people waiting for dorks like this guy to get his stuff processed... grrrrr!! Probably his stuff alone filled the belly of an airplane and weighed so much (hundreds of pounds) and surely nothing else could go on that airplane. Yeah all in the priority rate boxes. He had it figured out for sure!!!

Guest Linda S

Yes, that's what 'flat rate' means. It's always a fixed price. You can order the boxes on line and have them delivered for free. Free boxes delivered for free. And, as said above, you can print the labels off at home and get a small discount, plus you get free delivery confirmation. They will pick up your packages the next day also, but I love taking them into the post office, walking right past the line, setting them on the counter and saying, 'this is a click and ship!' They just say thanks, and I walk out without having to wait in that long, long line!

Hi Joan,

We had this timely shipping discussion on the Yahoo Quilts of Valor group a few months ago. I know how handy those bulk Priority shipping boxes are. Maybe too handy!.....anyway, I learned a lot over the Quilt of Valor group and I no longer use the bulk rate shipping boxes, nor do I insure.

Instead I use my own box and use Shipping/Tracking confirmation. Wow---my shipping charges have gone down almost 50%!

Shana, it is amazing how with careful folding and inserting a quilt in a "slippery plastic bag" what size box you can fit a finished quilt into. :)

Archived