Cleaning a 1971 quilt

sydneymath

Text

Is this the place to ask about washing a 1971 quilt? It's one my grandma hand pieced and hand quilted. Should I use the bathtub or actually wash it in my Maytag top loading washing machine? What about detergent? I have seen many suggestions and don't know what's the best. The quilt is intact, in good shape, and, with its white sashing and borders, just needs washing. It's king-sized.

Thanks!!

It should be OK in a machine as Carol described--least agitation, mild soap, etc. You may opt for drying it flat if you don't know what kind of batting it has. If it's from the 70's chances are there is poly fabric and maybe batting as well. Drying flat will offset any shrinkage of the stray cotton fabrics.

If you opt for a bathtub washing, place the quilt in a plastic laundry basket in the water so it is easy to squish the soap through, easy to rinse, and especially easy to lift it out without straining the fabrics and quilting.

As for soap--even though it has "modern" fabrics, use a mild soap like Quilt Soap or Orvus instead of detergent. Even Dreft or Ivory powdered soap is good. You don't want any product with phosphates or oxygen boosters.

I use a quilt soap that gets out yellowing from age called Restoration. I fill the tub with hot water and the Restoration. Push the quilt in the soapy water and gently agitate. Let sit for 6 hours. Then rinse in the tub using your hands to gently agitate and get the soap out. Let quilt air dry on towels on a flat surface.

Archived