Do we have any "chatters" from Italy?

My friend lost both her parents in the last couple of years, and she went through a nasty divorce...

We had dinner the other night and she told me that her mother would have loved to know that she's happy now and getting to travel... Then she asked me if I'd go to Italy with her!!! After some deliberation, I agreed! So, in September we are going to Italy!!! YAY!

However, I can't go without being able to find a quilt store or two! Thought I'd ask my friends here on the chat if we have an Italian member who can guide me to a shop! Yes! I'm very excited! Lots of plans to be made!

Guest Linda S

Oh WOW! Bobbi - I'm not an Italian chatter, but I went to Italy back in 2001. I had the time of my life and I cannot wait to go again. I did find one quilt shop (well, fabric plus!) near the Spanish Steps in Rome. I'm not sure if it's still there. A good person to ask might be Alex Veronelli - he's the Aurifill Threads guy. He is my friend on Facebook, so if you don't know him, I'd be happy to ask for you. Let me know which cities/towns you will be visiting and I'll find out for you.

There's just something about Italy. From the moment I stepped off the plane I felt as though I was home and I really didn't want to leave when the time came.

Italy is one of the places on earth I've always wanted to visit... I'm so excited that Janice wants to go! I have lots to do, including loosing some lbs. so I can walk more easily... I'll probably have to get an extra 8G SD card or two to hold all the pics!!! LOL

Thanks for the info Linda!

Oh, Bobbi, how exciting for you! My son and I went to Italy a few years back, and met someone from my in-laws hometown while waiting at Rome airport. How strange is that? We had on name tags as we were with a group and they recognized my son's name and said, "Oh, we know a James Oliver" (my son's name). Anyway, they live in the same town as my FIL and knew him!!

My husband is second generation American (both grandparents were born in Italy) and our son favors himself as Italian. We really enjoyed Italy. Have a wonderful trip!!

I didn't find any quilt shops on my visit but the scenery , the views, and out last night stay in "Castella ni Pavone" with the 5 star restaurant was a highlight.

Along with eating in hotels with the locals very few spoke english but we always enjoyed the meals.

You must try the limoncello!

We were there last spring and I looked and looked for stores. Should have done my homework ahead of time but the closest thing I found were bath and linen stores. Loved Venice, Florence, and Tuscany countryside and would go back there in a heartbeat. Naples was so bad our guide wouldn't even take us into town. Does that say something about the city? Rome was beautiful but too busy for me. It might have been our guide. He was normally a cab driver and drove like one. :o

I have to speak in defense of Naples! It is dense and gritty, but a slice of life not to be missed. The best finds from Pompeii are in the museum there. My son and I saw it on a day trip from Rome--it was well worth the visit!

We spent two weeks in. Rome and only made a dent in what is there to be seen and enjoyed. You will have a wonderful time!

Thanks Ladies! It's so great to have the knowledge of others to use to make a trip (or anything) better!

I appreciate your comments and suggestions! Glad I have plenty of time to figure it out! Yvette, the link you sent is great! I had looked on several - however some haven't been updated in a couple of years...

It will be a challenge, but I WILL find a quilt shop! I'm so looking forward to the countryside, and seeing the treasures of Italy - The Vatican, the ruins, museums, and enjoy the food, the wine, and the people! I want to do it all!!!!!

I loved Italy! I would go back tomorrow if I could. We did a tour so very little time to shop on my own. I do know that Aurifil thread is in Milano and Alex Veronelli is very active on Facebook. He is a big wig there. I am certain that he could give you some info and if you ask nice I'm sure he would give you a tour of there plant.

Now if you find any great place I would love if you would share. DH and I are planning on returning in the next year or two!

Ciao ;D

Kathyd

Originally posted by kathyd

...I do know that Aurifil thread is in Milano and Alex Veronelli is very active on Facebook. He is a big wig there. I am certain that he could give you some info and if you ask nice I'm sure he would give you a tour of there plant. ..Ciao ;D

Kathyd

That's a great idea! Send Alex a note on Facebook. He'd love it. (he might even give you a cone of Aurifil) ;)

Here's another thought::: Jim West is a big world traveler and surely he knows "all things quilty" in many places including Italy (and he's buds with Alex) so... be careful what you ask for! Also drop a note on Jim West's Facebook page === isn't it a great tool for things like this. Have fun Bobbi-Baby! :) Bring me back a bottle of Chianti and some of that cheese. They make the best cheese over there...!!!

I promise to share pics and info on my "great adventure"! I always love fab out of the way places, so hopefully we'll find some of those!

Thanks for the leads you all, and Shana, I promise to have the time of my life!!! Or at least ADD to the times of my life!!! LOL

My kids always called me "Momma Bobbette" because I LOVE italian food and love to cook it too! So I'm so excited!

I and two other teachers went to Europe in 1983. Italy was one of my favorite countries. The Italians were so kind to us. We decided to visit Herculaneum. Unfortunately, the bus took us to the middle of nowhere and we were told to get off. Not speaking much Italian, we did as was "suggested" and waited with the local folks until another bus came along. We pointed to the bus and said "Ercolano?" "Si, si" was the reply.

Each bus had a driver and a conductor who collected the fee. I and my two friends were separated on the bus. When the conductor came to me, he indicated that I needed to pay a fee. I held out my hand filled with Italian coins and he took what he needed. Then, about five individuals a few seats ahead of me began to discuss something. One of them was elected and he followed the conductor to the back of the bus. The next think I knew, he came back up the aisle, stopped at my seat, put my coins back in my hand, closing my hand as he did so.

His friends shouted "Bravo, bravo." Obviously, the ticket I had purchased before boarding the original bus covered the trip to "Ercolano." He had unselfishly helped an obvious Americana. This is just one of the many pleasant stories I have about Italy. I could go on and on.

Enjoy your trip. The food is fantastic. Each region is known for specialties. I ate and walked my way across Italy and the rest of Europe, never thought of one single calorie, and came home pounds lighter.

Enjoy!!!:D

Archived