JAN2012 BLOCK SWAP DIRECTIONS

okay here's the link for the directions.

CLICK HERE (this is the corrected version 1-6-12)

there is no 'sign-up list' just make the blocks and mail them to me...

DEADLINE- they must be at my house by March 31st, 2012.

any questions- let me know

this will be one gorgeous quilt, and i think many will be sorry they didn't do it when they start seeing the finished tops....

happy stitching!

post--13461907881781_thumb.jpg

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shannon I just read the directions and I can't tell you how excited I am to get started. Also I want to thank you for the tip on the double line on the stitch and flip corners. What a terrific time saver and for all those little triangle pieces. Wish I had known this years ago. I don't even want to think how many little triangles I have stored away.

Ok , I am new to the block swap. One question please. Do all the blocks need to be identical? I was planning on using the 30's I have on hand but not sure that I have that many one yard pieces. Can my block be mixed up scrappy in the points? I can purchase the "plus fabric to make sure that is the same if that is important. I will be going to the store to buy the kona and don't mind "having to purchase" more 30's fabric if need be! It seems I have lots of black Kona on hand , but no white! Also, should the center PLUS be a darker shade as indicated by the red fabric in the example? Sorry for all the questsions, just trying to do this correctly. Thank for all your have done to get this in motion! LOL I just re-read this and I think there is more than 1 question.

Originally posted by chrisquilter

Ok , I am new to the block swap. One question please. Do all the blocks need to be identical? I was planning on using the 30's I have on hand but not sure that I have that many one yard pieces. Can my block be mixed up scrappy in the points? I can purchase the "plus fabric to make sure that is the same if that is important. I will be going to the store to buy the kona and don't mind "having to purchase" more 30's fabric if need be! It seems I have lots of black Kona on hand , but no white! Also, should the center PLUS be a darker shade as indicated by the red fabric in the example? Sorry for all the questsions, just trying to do this correctly. Thank for all your have done to get this in motion! LOL I just re-read this and I think there is more than 1 question.

- if you want to make groupings of different colors (ie, make 5 sets of (6) where the (6) blocks inside the group are the same- that's fine.

-the 'plus' in the center can be what ever your little heart wants it to be. i choose red cause that what i was feeling at that exact minute :)

- the only written-in-stone, has-to-be rule is kona white as the background and white thread...

I've sourced 2 metres of Kona Cotton, and got it at $9.98 a metre hopefully I can get some more later in the month.

Kona Cotton is not that easy to come by in Australia.

Looks like I might have to shop online overseas and I'd prefer to shop local!

And if I can use up the pieces that are in my stash already, I can feel I have achieved tidying up my stash!

joann's kona cotton white is fine....cotton thread for piecing, please....remember no black or brown prints.

just a real quick tip: when you sew the corner units to the "PLUS" units, the seam from the flip and sew white corner will not line up to the plus fabric and white seam on the raw edge of the pieces. they will match up however 1/4inch in from the ram edge. this is important to keep from losing points....

make sense?

post--13461907881075_thumb.jpg

Archived