Garment bags for returning quilts

Does anyone use garment bags to return quilts?

If so, do they open from the top or the bottom?

And where do you order from?

I ordered some and they all open from the bottom. I am concerned about using them - I will be putting the extra batting and fabric in the bottom of the bag, so when opened the first thing the customer will see is the scraps that will most likely also fall out.....

Opinions please!

I use drycleaning bags to return quilts to my customers. They open from the bottom, so I always put the end with the extra stuff in first.

But my customers always come to the house to pick up their quilts, so they are on display on the quilt ladder for their first look. Then I pack them into the bag.

Guess I'm not a lot of help.

I use these big bags. I bought them from ebay. You get 200 18x8.5x32 Jumbo Blue Plastic Shopping Bags for $31.00 (includes shipping).

My local quilt shop has the exact same bag (but it's purple)

That's $.15 cents per bag. Not bad. I fold and place the batting scraps on the bottom of the bag and fold the quilt neatly on top. A huge king easily fits in this bag. I like these bags; they look nice (not a trash bag) and I will buy more when I run out.

post--13461907880643_thumb.jpg

Cheryl,

Ironically, :D several of my customers have reused the "blue bag" I gave them --- when sending me more quilts. So they are durable and reuseable again and again!!

OK ebay is pretty easy to use. You have to set up a member account and Paypal account.

Here's the link to the bags I'm referring to

http://www.ebay.com/itm/270706330755?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2648

I recently switched to Uline large paper bags, as my nod to 'bein' green.' Four of us ordered together to get the volume discount. I chose white and then affix my business card to the front. They have worked well, and the customers reuse them when they bring the next quilt. I figure they also do a bit of marketing for my service when the customer carries the bag to show off the quilt to others.

Quilting Kimmy, would it be possible to put the extra batting, etc. in a small bag that hangs from the top of the garment bag? (not sure if you include a hanger or not.)

Joann - hi, I do include hangers so that is a possibility.

This is the first time I have purchased any bags to return quilts - so I am a newbie in that area. I spoke with the owner and apparently something got lost in translation with her manufacturer, all her bags zip from the bottom up. She won't have the problem corrected until her next order - which will not be until the fall because of the volume she orders.

I think I will be returning the bags and just 'go green' - the cost came out to $5.50 per bag after shipping and the hanger purchase and it just doesn't sit well with me that they are opening from the bottom - it doesn't look professional, and for that price they really should be perfect!

Thanks,

I started using the zippered quilt bags from Virginia Longarm and embroidered my "Darlington Quilts" on the front. They have a pocket for your invoice and a pocket for a business card. These are somewhat expensive, but I bought them for my first 50 customers and thought it would be good advertising. Next I bought heavy duty plastic bags from U-Line in the same color as my VA Longarm bags (lime green). I print out a label that looks like my business card and stick it on the bag. I've recently had several customers complain about these "plastic" bags because they are plastic. I am considering buying the non-woven, tote style bags from U-Line (also in lime green) and having them screen print "Darlington Quilts" on them - the embrooidering got to be a PITA for me. These are definately more expensive than the plastic bags, but would be environmentally friendly. Decisions...decisions!

Sandra.....Your customers are complaining because the bags are plastic?

I know that plastic is not good long term for the quilts, but if it is just for the car ride home to keep it clean I don't think it is going to hurt the quilt.

I would hope that if you go to the woven style, your customers would recycle the bags when they bring you back tops to quilt.

Hi Deb,

Yep, I have a few that won't use plastic bags for anything, including their super market shopping. Most of my customers are happy with my lime green plastic bags.

One of my favorite bags are the giant Zip Lock bags that hold huge quilts, but they seem to be hard to find around here. I buy them when I see them, usually at Target, when they have them. I like to put my quilts in them for show & tell at guild because they are easy to carry, they zip shut to stay dry in the rain, and being plastic they protect my quilts from getting wet and sticky when the person next to me kicks over their cup of soda (by accident) and it runs onto my quilt bag on the floor next to me.

• 2 months later...

I use comforter bags from Cleaner Supply. They look good and I think they give a professional finish to the quilts that go out the door :)

They zip at the top and have a handle, although this isn't very strong. They are made from clear vinyl with two sides made from a fabric similar to dryer sheets, so its breathable.

http://www.cleanersupply.com/products/product.cfm?pID=4493

Unfortunately - they don't ship outside USA, so when I need more I have to get them sent to my buddy who then sends them on to me. I can't find a competitive supplier here in UK so even with the extra shipping its worth it to me. I also use them a LOT to store fabric and my own quilts :)

- Ani

I use dry cleaner clear bags over drapery hangers. When I return a quilt to a customer I take it to guild and everyone can see the quilt and quilting easily. That makes for new customers. I staple the bill and my business card to the top near the hanger so folks can see who did the quilting!! :D

Archived