displaying finished customers quilts

I had my DH install a large curtain rod on a wall in my livingroom. I use cafe curtain rings that I can clip to the quilts and slide them on the rod. Kind of a PITA because I have to climb on a chair or ladder to reach the rod. Not my best move!

I am sure someone out there has a really good ideas. Prior to this, I just opened the quilt on my dining room table. Thanks for your input.

I had my hubby make me a quilt ladder. I bunch the quilt at the top of the ladder and drape the quilt fanning/spreading it out down the ladder. I have yet to have anyone not go aaahhhhh when they come in and see it displayed. Even though they can't sell the entire quilt...there is enough coverage that the effect is the same.

Well, Linda Rech's savvy smartypants engineer husband installed a rod, rope, and pulley system so she doesn't have to climb up on a ladder to hang her quilts. I've seen her studio in person and it's pretty gosh darned slick!

Other people have used the photographer backdrop telescoping stand thingies. Those work too.

Me. I don't have anything fancy like these; I just drape it over my longarm.

I need to do something! :D

Originally posted by Farmland Quilter

I drape them over my living room couch and tuck under all the excess batting and backing ( I don't trim unless they request & pay )

Oh Lordy! I looked under my familyroom couch cushions this christmas when my grandson lost a toy. MMMMM Gee, I should have vacuumed under there! As we currently have an English Springer Spaniel, Golden Retriever grand dog and two cats, I need to keep the quilts as high as possible!

I use my photogaphr's stand-- love it-- also doubles to hang my laundry when it comes out of the dryer while waiting to be hauled upstairs. (grins) My basement is mostly quilting space. I use skirt hangers to hang the quilts as there is no harm done and they are easy and cheap. It's also great to hang up unquilted quilts when trying to figure out what to quilt. I can also haul it upstairs for those customers that don't do stairs well.

Originally posted by quiltmonkey

Well, Linda Rech's savvy smartypants engineer husband installed a rod, rope, and pulley system so she doesn't have to climb up on a ladder to hang her quilts. I've seen her studio in person and it's pretty gosh darned slick!

Other people have used the photographer backdrop telescoping stand thingies. Those work too.

Me. I don't have anything fancy like these; I just drape it over my longarm.

I need to do something! :D

I have a smarty pants engineer husband too! However, working on my quilt hanging system ranks Waaaay back behined getting water to the fridge to make ice, fixing the garbage disposal( broke yesterday), knocking a hole in the wall between the kitchen and livingroom ect. ect. ect.

The photographers stand is looking like a good idea! :)

Easy, cheap, and doesn't really require an engineer! It stows at the ceiling when not in use and displays my next-up quilt for me to ponder. It's stuck in one spot, not like a photographer's stand, but serves me well.

A 10' one-by-two

Four eye bolts

Nylon cord used for blinds

Screw two eye bolts into the ceiling joist as far apart as you like. Screw the other two into the narrow edge of the 1"x2" the same distance apart as the ones in the ceiling. Measure the cord into appropriate lengths and tie to the eye bolts in the 1"x2". Run the cord up through the ceiling bolts and take to one side secure in an adjacent wall, within easy reach. I can easily hoist a big king size quilt to the ceiling by myself. I secure the quilts with big clamps.

post--13461907881332_thumb.jpg

What a great idea, I have the photographer stand but have problems with clips that are strong enough to hold quilts once they have all 3 layers quilted together...I see you have some kind of clamps that look like something I could find at Lowes or something, but I wonder if they would be big enough to grip the top bar on the photo stand...hmmmm I really like that yours is always ready and not really in the way....

Thank you for the info...I too have been trying to figure out how to display as I am getting busier. But to drag everyone into my basement area where my machine is would be scary for some.... it is scary for me! My husband is not that handy so whatever I come up with has to be something I can put together all by my self. Maybe the photographer stand would be the easiest.

Real fancy here, to photograph a quilt I call DH, as Roger is tall and has very long arm he just holds the quilt up for me, and to display a quilt for the customer to see, we just unfold it and drape it over the classroom tables! LOL!!! Actually there is no room for any other set up, as you will recall. my Milli is in our store's classroom and space is a premium....