Design Help - What could you not live without?

DoryJM

I am happy to have room for a longarm and a sewing machine. My room is small . I have stuff jammed everywhere as I have little storage. . When I sew or quilt it looks like a tornado struck. My cutting table is made smaller because that is where my dm sits. I love the piecing and quilting but you wouldn't want to see a picture of my room. I am happy to be able to do this and enjoy every minute of it. Enjoy your lovely rooms.

Without a doubt for me is my Container Store wall hung shelving that lines every wall (including fabric closet) in my studio. Every tote and box is labeled. It just makes life so much easier for me when things are organized and I can go to their home and retrieve them when I need to (no wasting precious quilting time in hunting for items). Then I have bolts of fabric on Container Store shelving in my quilting room. Container Store IS a good thing!!!

Hi Dory,

Yes the cabinets are from Home Depot. We have a Builder's Surplus here as well, but I think the quality of the cabinets is better from Home Depot. I feel so organized now. I have been trying to figure out what to do with Crazy Quilt stuff, and now it has a home, and my patterns have a home, etc. I actually am divided up between my sewing room, which is where this lives, and my quilting room, which is where my Millie lives. In my quilting room, I bought a PAX system from Ikea, which you can design on the internet, print out the parts list and take it there, go stand in line and pay, and come home. It houses my batting, a shoe organizer holds my pantos, and the big deep drawers hold my QZ stuff, as well as my thread charts, etc. I'll try to take pics tonight when I get home and post them. Maybe it will help with ideas.

Great ideas. I could not do without my walls being covered with pegboard. It gives me the ability to move things around. You can get all kinds of "gizmos" to hang on it. I even have shelving on it. I got the paintable type, so it didn't look to "industrial". I think second and third is "lighting" and "good rubber matting".

Wow, Susan, nice pics and nice stuff!

I plan on lots of pegboard and shelving. I'm starting to get excited; the "boys" are outside today actually building the wall. Then sheetrock/paint/a floor and I'm in!! Oh and more electrical outlets.

You have all been such a great help! Thanks so much!!

my adjustable halogen lights with dimmers , my 6ft bookshelf at the end of my machine with the stuff I use alot, my 4 drawer roll around cart for all that little stuff--bobbins, tools, exxtra zippers, marking tools. another littlle roll around shelf with my collection of pounce pads, T squares that fit in the slots, flashlights etc. I think I'm going to love my peg board when I get it up (next weekend?) for the stencils I use alot. The most important my 2 6ft bookshelves chok full of quiltingthreads and bobbins.

For me it's storage!

I found and entire set of oak cabinets at our local Habitat for Humanity Restore. Hubby fixed one set into a pressing station and put countertop over the other for cutting and misc. The cabinets all have pullout drawers that I use to store thread. If you have a local Restore I highly recommend it - $150 for 20 feet of lower cabinets. I also found smaller cabinets for under my Lenni table to keep pantos and my fabric stash.

Have fun with your design, can't wait to see pictures!

Wow, Kimmy, I think we need to see pics of your studio!

Jeri, I bought a cutting "island" that's on wheels and the perfect size to wheel around behind my LA as I work. Sounds like it might be similar to what you do. I think you better show us a few pics too!

Here's the cutting / misc area

I keep books, patterns, and batting underneath. The countertop came from IKEA. The drawers work really well for cutting tools, Lenni's tool kit, all extra bobbins and needles. I still have plenty of space - I'm amazed that everything fit, and it looks nice and organized (depending on the day, haha) when customers come by.

post--13461907926393_thumb.jpg

Kimmy, thanks for the pics!! You should be excited; its a wonderful space and it looks like you get to watch out the windows while you work, too. I'm going to miss not having lots of windows.

Lynda, there just isn't anything else to say about your studio...its what most of us aspire to!

• 10 months later...

Archived