Cotton Thread

I have a Green Lucey and have been using it for almost a year now with no problems until this weekend. I had a queen quilt loaded on the machine and used a new spool of 100% cotton thread (typically I use a poly over cotton thread). Loops were showing up on the backing. What caused that ... the top thread or the bobbin thread? I adjusted and adjusted and adjusted both and finally got the adjustments correct but it took a whole ton of work to do so. I don't have a Towa which probably would have helped me tremendously. Now that I have the bobbin case adjusted, I am using this case strictly for 100% cottons but I just want to understand which thread was causing the loops - top or bottom.

I would say the top thread was too loose if it was the top thread looping to the back. It probably was a combination of both, however, if you also changed your bobbin thread to a different type of thread depending on the weight of the thread. Glad you got it figured out, though. I just fought a king sized quilt using cotton thread top and bottom with inconsistent tension the whole way. I got that quilt done and put on another one but decided to try poly thread to see if that helped - and what a difference!!! I'll use more of the poly now, at least with my machine. What type of poly over cotton do you use, just curious what worked for you?

Superior threads has free info and charts on all kinds of thread questions. I made a copy of their tension diagram and posted it by my "Gator". After many years of quilting, I still need a refresher every now and then. Here is the URL: http://www.superiorthreads.com/education/tension/thread-tug-of-war-how-tension-works

If the link doesn't work, copy and paste into your browser or go to their website and click on education.

Hi Ja,

It helps if the color of the thread will reveal which is looping, but most of the time it will be your TOP thread doing the looping. It pulls around the bobbin thread and must tug the thread into the quilt layers with each stitch. If it doesn't have enough tension, (or the bobbin tension is too tight) then it will "loop" around the bobbin thread.

Tighten the top tension (and don't be afraid to keep doing it until the stitch looks better---if you go too far you'll know because the top thread will break :)). If you can't achieve success that way, then also loosen the bobbin tension (again, knowing that it is ok to have the bobbin so loose it will zing to the floor if necessary).

Have a great week!

Thanks ladies for the hints and the handy chart from Superior Threads. I must admit that I am afraid of tension (bobbin or top) simply because my domestic machine does all the thinking for me. As of result of this experience I have ordered a Towa to help me. The 100% cotton thread that I was using I believe was Signature and I bought it at Moda. The poly thread I use is Perma Core from Dallas Threads and I love it (it is not poly covered cotton as I stated above). Connie uses Perma Core from Dallas Threads and turned me onto them. Now all I have to do is find time to pull out all the loops and requilt ...

Archived