Granddaughter's first LA quilting experience!

I just wanted to share a picture of our granddaughter Chloe quilting her first project (she is 11 years old). She chose a kitty panel with coordinating lime green background. I set it up with a light yellow on top and lime green bobbin thread (poly threads) and it worked great. She had a great time - singing away the whole time - and she was really 'dancing with the machine' by the end! I've got to cut binding for it yet, but that will need to wait till I get over this terrible sore throat and cold (I'm not moving too fast this week.)

BTW, I have an older Ulti I with the vertical handles, but if you notice in the picture I added bicycle extender handles to decrease my reach and increase comfort. I'll post a pic separately of a close up. It really has made a difference in my ability to quilt for longer periods of time without having alot of discomfort.

6727897315_3a61fdf85d.jpg

Chloe quilting her 1st quilt by Nana Em Heartstrings, on Flickr

6727897675_5aba94d5f4.jpg

Ultimate I extended handle by Nana Em Heartstrings, on Flickrbicycle

She reminds me of our 9 year old granddaughter............same hair and all. She and her sister quilted their own quilts on my machine this summer. The 9 year old really concentrated, but the then 6 year old would be looking elsewhere at what her sister was doing across the room and forget to watch where she was "driving". haha I stayed close by. Wish I had taken pictures !

Originally posted by dbz98236

How fun. She is really concentrating on that job. I hope my grandkids are interested to LA also. I have a grandson that always wants to do a project.

Haha, Debbie! When Chloe saw the camera she immediately stopped singing and put on a straight face. I started laughing and asked her why and she said, 'I thought you would want me to be "seriously quilting".' I laughed harder and told her to keep right on singing and wiggling because it just makes it so much more fun!!

Originally posted by aleksich

Marci, what kind of bike handles are on there? I have the orginal handles and what to change to something like you have.:)

Nice to have a grandmother that lets the kids play with her toys:)

Lynn, They are called HANDLEBAR AERO DROP BAR CONVERSION ENDS/MTB FLAT 2 ROAD from a seller on eBay. I ordered drop bar conversion ends from our local bicycle shop (cheaper on eBay but a local business supported by purchasing here). I haven't replaced the foam handgrips (and some may still have the original bicycle plastic handlebar grips like I did before I got the Intellistitch) but rather used the gel cork handlebar tape. Works for us!

And thank you all for the kind comments - I will share them with our precious granddaughter - she will be so tickled. And I have to say the feathers are mine, but I've still got work to do to get mine as nice as all of yours. I've done more practice place mats over time than I care to admit! HOWEVER, I found that Chloe had a much easier time adjusting to feathers than I did because she had no reservations or fears of not doing it right like I've had - she has had such a good time regardless how her stitching first looked like. That's what it's about, isn't it!

Archived