pattern boards

No matter the brand, if you use a grooved board and stylus for edge to edge quilting, how many boards do you buy? Most are only 24 inches wide. You would need 4 for a queen size if you dont want to always move your boards. But that makes the boards very pricy. Also, if you are going to pick up and move your boards, how do you maintain level so you don't end up going up or downhill by the other side of the quilt? Sorry if this is a stupid question.

I buy Circle Lord pattern boards. You purchase a set, typically for the largest quilt you will quilt on your table. The set sizes are for Queen, Queen 1/2, and King.

I think the Queen size are for 10 ft. tables, Queen 1/2 for 10 - 12 ft., and King for 12 - 14 ft.

I think it best to have enough boards to work continuously acorss the quilt so that alignment of the design can be verified with each quilt advance. I always check where the design will stitch across the entire quilt before I start quilting and with each advance. I think that would be difficult to do when leapfrogging boards, as well as take a lot of time.

I use the boards pretty much the same way as I use pantos. The difference is (at least for me) the boards are more precise because you are moving the stylus in a groove, where a panto you are following a laser light along the printed lines, and sometimes I go off the lines.

I like the pattern boards especially for the Baptist Fan, but I have many others, too, like the Swirlz, Square Dance, Sakura, etc. Some of these designs I would not be able to do nicely using a panto, and I could definately not do them freehand. I do many of my own baby quilts and charity quilts freehand, E2E in the body and a different design in the border, but for customers, I like to have more precision.

I like to show my customers what designs I have and let them pick which one they want (for an E2E design).

I guess my answer to your question is that "yes" the boards do slow me down a bit because I have to load them and line up each row when I advance the quilt, but the actual quilting is just as fast, if not faster for me.

Circle Lord boards are just way too expensive for me, I only quilt my own quilts.

I have several R n S boards. I prefer to have 4 or 5 of each but I do have a couple with just two so I have to move them. Kind of hopscotch across the table. It isn't as nice but they are ones that I don't use as often so it's not so bad. That being said, 5 is ideal for sure. R n S will make really long continuous boards of most if not all of their designs however they are not shippable when that long. They have to be picked up so unless you live in the NW that isn't really an option. One option is to buy them with someone else and share if possible.

I have been buying 2 of the RnS Boards - shipping is too expensive.

I hopscotch them but usually have the centre board taped to my table and then it is easy to line up the ones either side. I also have drawn a straight line(using the channel locks so it is straight to my machine) across my back table that I can easily line them up straight with my machine each time.

If I like the board then I purchase a third board next purchase.

I prefer to freehand the really large quilts, so don't purchase more than three boards.

I made the mistake of getting only 2 R & S boards (all that was left) and I have to hopscotch them. It would be better with 3 because by the time I remember I have to move the last one, my machine is past the connecting point. LOL So now I will be getting a minimum of 3 and prefer 5.

• 7 months later...
Originally posted by sharz

Hi I was wondering has anyone had there hubby make some up? I am tempted to ask him to make some using the router:)

If he has a computer-guided router it's very easy to make pattern boards. The correct bit width is crucial, of course. Dennis uses wood or plastic and makes boards for me all the time, with his C-G router.

If your DH doesn't have a C-G router set-up, it can be done with a verrrrrry steady hand. Any lump, bump, or wobble will transfer directly to your stitching and can't be fixed.

If long boards are made, obviously, the design must enter and exit at the same spot on the edges to continue the pattern gracefully. Study pattern boards on the various websites to see how this is accomplished.

Good luck and if you are pleased with the results, hide your hubby because he will be very popular!!:D

Originally posted by ffq-lar

Hi I was wondering has anyone had there hubby make some up? I am tempted to ask him to make some using the router:)

Good luck and if you are pleased with the results, hide your hubby because he will be very popular!!:D

Boy is Linda right...Dennis is one POPULAR guy! ;)

Originally posted by ffq-lar

If he has a computer-guided router it's very easy to make pattern boards. The correct bit width is crucial, of course. Dennis uses wood or plastic and makes boards for me all the time, with his C-G router.

If your DH doesn't have a C-G router set-up, it can be done with a verrrrrry steady hand. Any lump, bump, or wobble will transfer directly to your stitching and can't be fixed.

If long boards are made, obviously, the design must enter and exit at the same spot on the edges to continue the pattern gracefully. Study pattern boards on the various websites to see how this is accomplished.

Linda...sent you an email

Archived