Prayer Request Sorry so long:(UPDATED)

Our Son in Law has been having small siezures for almost 3 months now and they have put him on medications, but he is still having some. He had a Grand Mall Seizure two weeks ago and had to go to the ER. Our daughter was alone with him and the baby and it was very tramatizing to her in the middle of the night. Soooo my husband went up to be with her incase it happened again and has been there almost 2 weeks now.

My prayer request is that tomorrow morning he is being put in the hospital and hooked up to all kinds of electronics to try to see what is going on. Please pray that they will be able to determine what the problem is and most of all that they will be able to do something about it. He has been out of work now for over a month, and sick leave is almost gone. He won't be able to drive for at least 6 month after the seizures have stopped. So far they have not completely stopped. It is very scary and being alone with a new baby has my daughter very stressed out. And I would like my husband back home as I really miss him and don't like being alone. I am very happy that he has been there to help out. He actually rescued the baby last night as her Daddy was holding her and he was standing up. Went into a kind of trance and let go with one arm. She started to slip down and my husband got her before she could fall. So it was good that he was there. Adam feels terrible and very frustrated that he cannot do much to help out with the baby now.

Did I mention before Christmas he drove off the side of the interstate doing 65 miles and hour and our daughter had to steer the car back on the road and keep them from crashing. Thank you Lord for your protection. No more driving after that.

FRIDAY UPDATE!! Our Son in law is home from the hospital as of a little while ago, They learned that the seizures are originating in the Frontal lobes and are 90 percent electical and 10 percent physical. What all that means I am not sure but they are increasing the meds and putting him under watch for the next few weeks to see if there are any breakthrough seizures. DR says he has probably always had this and that the brain builds a barrier and tries to contain the problem but sometimes the barrier is broken down and the seizures surface as they did in 2009. the meds should control them but if not at some point in time they may look at a possible surgery to remove the area that is initiating the seizures.

For now I think things are heading in the right direction and I want to thank you all for your prayers. Jeann

Jeanne,

I will keep you and your family in our prayers, I feel very frightened for you having to deal with this stress and the unknown but God is loving and will hold you and your family in his hands as you go through this struggle. Keep your faith and prayers strong!

If anyone has any experience with this type of thing I would appreciate hearing how it works. this is all new to us and very scary. He did have a few bad seizures in 2009 where he was in a coma for a few days an apparent chemical reaction from cold medicine and diet pills. this is not the case this time and we are not sure why or how this came on. The only thing we have suspected is that it seems to have gotten started about the time he was playing a hand held video game alot. It may or may not have anything to do with it but he has not played the game since before Christmas and the seizures have increased rather than decreased.

Dear Jeanne. I know first hand how scary this can be. Our 18 year old son was in a car accident in 1988 and in a coma for 4 months. He has had an ongoing seizure disorder since then.

We used to make the trip by ambulance every 2 weeks or so because when his seizure went into a grand mal, it never stopped on it's own. This went on for a long time, and he was even on life support for 5 days once because of a grand mal.

Once, while in emerg.,he got a visiting Dr. from South Africa and he ordered a specific blood test. Then he prescribed Magnesium Sulfate in suspension. Jason hasn't had a grand mal seizure since then; about 15 years now.

It might be worth asking about. Something as simple as a supplement was what Jason needed. He still has petit mals, but no more ambulance trips to the hospital, thank GOD, and a visiting physician who thought "outside the box"!

Will be praying for wisdom for the Drs. and for all of you too. :)

Thanks, Darlene

this is the type of thing that is good to hear. there are a vast number of people who have already gone through these types of things and they can be helpful in both understanding and thinking outside the box as you mentioned. it is odd that you mentinoned the seizures stemmed from a car accident. Adam had a very mild rear end collision and had some headaches after that. we also wondered if maybe it was just enough of a jar to set something off. There was not even any damage to the cars but he did say he had a stiff neck for awhile and headaches. who knows the brain is a very complex thing and right now his is in a tizzy I suppose!! thanks for your information I will relay the Magnesium Sulfate in Suspension ( what does the in suspension mean?)

Jeanne, my daughter has had epilepsy for many years now (about 30 yrs.) she has never been able to drive or work. It is very scary. A lot of the time they will do cat scans and EEG's to look at the brain and to chart electrical activity in the brain. Tell him to avoid flashing lights. Sometimes even watching a flickering screen (TV) can trigger a seziure. It isn't hopeless, but hard to find what can help him. Hope it gets better soon, will keep him in my prayers!

My daughter had seizures starting at age 6 months. She eventually figured out certain things that triggered them....flashing lights, certain quick movements on tv, things like that. She is 38 now and hasn't had one for many years. I will add your family to my prayers!

Thank you everyone for your prayers they are much appreciated. I am in hopes that even though the testing may be very scary that it will lead them to find the cause and cure for these seizures. I imagine they will take him off the antisiezure meds and let him have them so they can monitor them. I am hoping that our daughter will not be there when and if he has a grand mall, as she was very frightened and hasnt hardly spept since worrying about every move he makes. Lifting him up to the Great Physician!! Thank You Lord!

Originally posted by IBQLTN2

thanks for your information I will relay the Magnesium Sulfate in Suspension ( what does the in suspension mean?)

Absolutely, the car accident could have something to do with it! I've been rear ended 3 times, and can no longer learn new things easily. I used to be able to learn ANYthing from a book and had almost a photographic memory. Now, I struggle to even read a book and remember what I've read. :o I can't even tell you how many times I've checked the same books on CD out of the library! At least, it's usually a new listening experience. :P

"In suspension" simply means it's in liquid form. They tried switching Jason to pills, but that didn't work. ONLY the suspension works for him.

Jason does have to avoid any kind of flashing lights. He has to keep his eyes closed when driving through a tunnel; we don't go to the light shows at Disneyland, and the TV has to be turned off unless he's right in front of it, watching. If it's on, and off to the side, the flickering can trigger a petit mal.

Driving in the car at night, the lights coming toward him can also trigger a seizure. Extreme anxiety can bring one on too.

You might want to get a book on seizure disorders or do some research on the net. Drs. can get a very narrow focus, or be so busy they don't keep up with the latest research. If they know you're doing research on your own (don't even mention the internet!), it will make them mad, but it will also keep them on their toes. ;)

Guest Linda S

Oh Jeanne! That can be so scary. I do hope they find out the cause and pray it is treatable. I can imagine that the young father feels just awful about this. Men's self-worth is often so entwined in their ability to be a provider and care-taker. Blessings to you all. May the doctors find a way to help cure him quickly.

Archived