I am not sure what the problems is. No matter how I measure or how careful I am lining up the quilt back the left upper corner always sags? Could the canvas be crooked? I have unwound them and re-wound them. double checked my center markings. And it always comes back to the left upper corner. Any ideas or advice?

this happens to me quite frequently, too. what i do is just roll the backing forward and back and it straightens itself out. i don't know how it does it, but it does.

did you see linda rech's post on loading a quilt without squaring it up? i have linked it below. since i have been using this method, it seems to happen less, altho it still does happen.

try it - you might like it. i LOVE it!

http://www.apqs.com/quiltboard/viewthread.php?tid=30121

One thing you might try is to pin the edges of your leaders together and roll completely back and forth several times. If after this treatment there is an obvious sag on one side, it will allow you to determine which leader is off (slanted). If it doesn't show a sag, you are OK. If one side sags, use a yardstick (not a tape measure, but something solid--even a rotary ruler) and while the leaders are pinned together and as tight as you can make them, measure from the roller to the edge of the leader. Measure in at least ten different spots and see if there is a discrepancy. One leader may be straight and another slanted.

You can square up the slanted one by engaging your channel lock and while the leader are still pinned together, running a line of stitches down the crooked leader. Trim (cut) the leader on the line, turn under once and pin securely. Re-pin the leaders together, barely catching the turned-under edge to pin through so you have room to again engage the channel lock and stitch down the turned-under edge with your longarm. It may not look pretty, but it's straight!

And here's another suggestion! If one side sags a bit, which happens sometimes in the middle of a quilt, or when you have quilted the center and left the borders for last, take a towel or piece of batting and tuck it up under the front roller nearest you. Push it in the crevice between the roller and the backer. The sag will be lessened, it doesn't stretch out anything, and you can quilt easily in the quilting field. As you advance, if you forget to remove the towel, it drops out the bottom!

Good luck!

Justs tried pinning the edges together like above and just as I suspected, the left side was looser than the right. Not by alot, but saggy. Not enought to trim off so I left the edges pinned together and sprayed the left side with clean water and am letting it dry. Already it is starting to straighten. Thanks for the idea. I think this will work!!!!

I have this problem also.....and wondered if it was caused by my Red Snappers. I just got my new Lenni in August of last year.

I put the casing in the leaders, and there is a little movement withing the casing ( not a tight fit).

I'm going to try the rolling the backing between the two bars on my next quilt top.

Thanks for the suggestions.....and I'll put this thread in my favorites.

Could this cause ripples or puckers in the backing of the quilt? I have never had a problem, but the last two quilts I took off the frame had puckers sewn into the backing. I was devastated. These were quilts already sold for Christmas gifts. I haven't put another quilt on the frame. I am afraid to.

Dustee

Dustee sagging backing will cause ripples and puckers in the backing. In the early days I put a whole fold in the backing. Took 3 days to pick out all of those stitches.

I learn from my mistakes though.....unfortunately now I tend to make my quilt sandwich very taunt........ which can lead to knew problems.

I know you said you are a newbie....the best thing you can do is always look underneath the quilt sandwich prior to quilting......Will save you so much grief!

Archived