What sewing machine do you use?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have two Berninas. I bought a Husqvarna about ten, twelve years ago and it never worked properly. The dealer couldn't do anything with it and I ended up taking a Bernina deal that offered a minimum trade in. I lost money on it but as it didn't work it wasn't worth keeping and the dealer didn't care. I think that one important consideration is to make very sure that whatever brand you buy you have a good dealer in your area that understands the machines he or she is selling.

I mostly use my Baby Lock Quilters Pro machine for piecing as it is a straight stitch only machine & makes lovely stitches. I use a Pfaff 2056 for decorative stitching & an old, all metal Kenmore for really heavy duty zig zagging. The rest of my machines I'll play with every now & again & I love all of them for different reasons :)

Originally posted by Bonnie

Heidi M has a Sapphire, I'm pretty sure that's what she has. I use a 6500 Janome. P

Nope I have a Viking Diamond. I love the sensor foot. I had a 1+ before this and now my daughter uses that. I think if I had it to do again I'd get a Viking with the sensor foot but not with so much embroidery. I just don't use it enough.

Pfaff 7570 - even older than the 2144!! I have had it since 1994 and never looked back. Don't use the embroidery hoops anymore though. Last night I was sewing a rip in a big ol' comfy comfortor and it ran like butter through the machine. If I ever had to switch - I would consider a Bernina because I've heard so many good things about them, or another Pfaff.

Originally posted by hmerrill

Heidi M has a Sapphire, I'm pretty sure that's what she has. I use a 6500 Janome. P

Nope I have a Viking Diamond. I love the sensor foot. I had a 1+ before this and now my daughter uses that. I think if I had it to do again I'd get a Viking with the sensor foot but not with so much embroidery. I just don't use it enough.

Oops.... Does knowing it was a precious stone count. :P

Let's see shall I count. I have a Bernina 440QE that I absolutely love, love (my preferred machine for piecing). I also have one of the new Bernina 820s that I absolutely hate. I have a Brother Duetta which I love. I have a never used MegaQuilter which I used once then bought my "gator" and put it in storage (if anyone wants it I'm willing to sell). Next is my Bernetta, which I bought to keep on the ship when I was in the Navy. It's a fairly good machine. I also have a Kenmore in storage that got me started!!!!!!

I have a bunch of sewing machines. While my Bernina's are my favorites for all creative sewing, I love, love love my Juki TL 2010Q for piecing. Nothing can touch it for precision! The vintage Singer straight stitch machines have as nice of a stitch, but not the great lighting, knee lift or thread cutter.

I have 6 Husqvarna Vikings. So I quess that tells you what I think of them. There was a period there where I went a little crazy with buying sewing machines. I used to have more, but gave some of the more basic ones away to newbie sewing/quilting friends. I love the tension and the quality of the stitch. I think one of my friends has the Sapphire, it's some gemstone from Viking, she tested it out at a quilt show and then bought a new one of that model, loves it.

I do have a quilting group that joins me in my studio at least once a month, everyone has a different make/model of sewing machine and everyone loves their machine.

If I had to get another it would be a Viking with a stretched throat so I could smoosh more fabric through it. I wish George had the ability to be more like a standard machine with a walking foot.

Dianne

We(my wife and I) have a Brother 2003 ULT, a Bernina 1230, Janome Gem Gold, a Babylock serger, and several Singer Featherweights and 301"s. We almost exclusively use the Singers. They are so dependable, easy to service, and great for transport, and they sew wonderfully.

The only time the other machines get used is when we need something sewed in other than a straight stitch. (Walking feet and 1/4" feet are the only attachments we use on the Singer machines)

We have a sewing group that meets every week. All of the 10 or so members sews on a Featherweight, or 301. Everyone has other machines, but the Singers get the nod when it comes to quilt piecing. One of the ladies in the group has a Bernina 1230 that she has literally worn out. Another has a Viking Designer SE, that has never worked right, and they don't seem to be able to correct the problem. No such problem with the Singers. They are so well built, they seem to never wear out. Jim

Originally posted by hmerrill

Oops.... Does knowing it was a precious stone count. :P

Sure we'll let you slide :D:D:D

Archived