What sewing machine do you use?

Hi, I have Berninas, 4 of them. I have the Bernina 730 with stitch regulator, Artista 180, Activa 220 and a 1300 MDC Serger. I love them all! I use the 730 for quilting small projects, embroidery and piecing. I use the 180 the most for piecing and the 220 for taking to classes. I use them all alot and have not had major problems with them. Most of the time if I have to call the dealer for help it is beacause of operator error. LOL My Bernina dealer is wonderful. Like, APQS, I get great customer service. I can call anytime and get help over the phone. If my machines have to go in for tune ups, I get them back quickly. If you decide on Bernina, make sure you have a good reputable dealer.

I have had Janome, Husqvarna, Baby Loc and Brother and highly prefer Bernina.

Dustee

Dustee

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just switched back to Brother. I had a Viking Diamond - I had repeated problems with the embroidery side of the machine - quilting was fine and had also had too many service calls for the tension (a known issue with this machine). I had had a Babylock in the past and for some reason decided to trade it in - dumb move. Actually, now I have 2 Brother machines - a little one that is a work horse and does the most beautiful satin stitch for applique and is great to drag around and my new Brother Quattro - it sews beautifully and the embroidery side works wonderfully. It is also much quieter than my Viking and I love the fact that I can now set up my embroidery and leave the room and know all will go fine.

When I switched back to Brother, I did try out the Pfaff & liked it but my dealer steered me back toward the Brother/Babylock. They have had fewer service calls with the Brother/Babylock machines over the last couple of years.

I have two sewing machines:

The 2009 Babylock Ellisimo which I use for sewing in general, attaching quilt backings to zippered leaders (Stitch #8 has the best basting stitch!) for doing this job.

I also make and sell embroidery labels and other embroidery items, so this machine gets a lot of use. Dependable user friendly machine.

On the other side of the L shaped table in my sewing room I have the 2010 Pfaff 4.0 Quilt Expression. I love the dual feed, and not having to change to a walking foot. I use this machine for piecing and applying quilt bindings. This Pfaff model has had negative feedback at times, but I have not had any problems with it. And it has some built in decorative stitches that are so beautiful that I have not seen on any other machines. I enjoy the larger arm on this Pfaff also.

For twice a month Bee I take along my little 2006 Janome Platinum 760. I always say if I could only have one machine (that's a joke!)---I would have this little Janome.

I don't have any other sewing machines except a small collector Hello Kitty machine in the turquoise. Cute little decorative machine as I never use it to sew...not sure why I keep it, except it's different.

I used to have a lot of Singer Featherweights, and some Singer 301's but sold them as I really prefer the newer machines for day in day out sewing.

It's been fun reading about all the different machines everyone uses.

Long ago, I wore out a Singer (when they were good, on upholstry ) , I wore out the top of the line Viking '71 (same issue!) got a Bernina 930 still going great, got interested in more stitches and got a Bernina 440QE . The Berninas are almost trouble free if I take them in to get "spa" regularly . I also do heirloom sewing, bridal, and alterations (no mens...) as well as the home dec and love the buttonhole stitch on the 440. I have stopped sewing with rubber backed fabric :D I'm not sure any machine can deal with it for long.....

I do agree with many of you, the dealer you work with and its mechanic are worth their weight in gold if they give you great service, and they help prolong the life of your machine. FYI my dealer says bad thread can ruin many a machine.... Happy Sewing , Pat

Originally posted by PFroelich

Long ago, I wore out a Singer (when they were good, on upholstry ) , I wore out the top of the line Viking '71 (same issue!) got a Bernina 930 still going great, got interested in more stitches and got a Bernina 440QE . The Berninas are almost trouble free if I take them in to get "spa" regularly . I also do heirloom sewing, bridal, and alterations (no mens...) as well as the home dec and love the buttonhole stitch on the 440. I have stopped sewing with rubber backed fabric :D I'm not sure any machine can deal with it for long.....

I do agree with many of you, the dealer you work with and its mechanic are worth their weight in gold if they give you great service, and they help prolong the life of your machine. FYI my dealer says bad thread can ruin many a machine.... Happy Sewing , Pat

Your dealer is right. Good quality thread is a must. I use it all, but when working with the Brother and Bernina salesmen they both said the same thing. Good thread and a good cleaning once a year and the machines will most generally out last the normal owner. Not us diehard quilters whom put literally hours a day in sewing.

Archived