NEED OPINIONS ON POSSIBLE FIL-TECH MONOFILAMENT

Ok fellow quilters, I need your comments for Chris at Fil-Tech/Bobbin Central. I am testing some polyester monofilament for him, in addition I am also testing some clear, non-shiny nylon thread being used by high end comforter makers. The nylon has a melting point of 480 degrees. I'm testing the thread and "pre-wound" bobbins.

Neither Fil-Tech or Superior Threads have been able to put

poly on a pre-wound bobbin yet (I asked Superior directly). I know some of you have doubts concerning nylon. Please comment on the positive and negative points of using nylon versus poly. BTW the nylon pre-wounds hold 175 yds of thread. Would you purchase nylon, if available in spools and pre-wounds? I do not work for Fil-tech, they really want/value our opinions and love for longarmers to test their products.

I agree with Kay, I have used nylon and had too many breaking and melting problems, so I switched to poly.. no pokies nor trouble with pressing. I've not used and wouldn't want to use poly in the bobbin. I want to see what it is doing, without laying on the table watching the bobbin stitching. ;) .

Guest Linda S

Connie - my samples just came and I'm going to give them a whirl this afternoon. I have already been using nylon for my monofilament on the top - I use Madiera Monolon. It is finer than frog's hair and doesn't melt with either my iron or my dryer temps (at least, I've not experienced any melting yet). I am excited to see a monofilament bobbin and, of course, Fil-Tec has all my favorite thread. I'll let you know what I think of these. Have to walk the dog first!

Guest Linda S

Bonnie - these stories used to bother me too, but think of this -- you use lots of different kinds of threads on a daily basis. I'm sure some are cotton, some are poly, perhaps rayon, etc. Can you think of a loop of any of those threads that you would like to see a baby finger or toe get trapped in? I know sometimes when I just want to change threads and I'm snapping the end of one, I'm taking a chance that I won't cut myself!! Sometimes old wives' tales do drive us wild.

Originally posted by Linda S

Bonnie - these stories used to bother me too, but think of this -- you use lots of different kinds of threads on a daily basis. I'm sure some are cotton, some are poly, perhaps rayon, etc. Can you think of a loop of any of those threads that you would like to see a baby finger or toe get trapped in? I know sometimes when I just want to change threads and I'm snapping the end of one, I'm taking a chance that I won't cut myself!! Sometimes old wives' tales do drive us wild.

Oh I agree the now nylons compared to the before is more wives tail than fact, but truly the nylon threads of the 80-90's literally were 7-8 pound test fishing line. And it would scratch if broken and not buried. Just really never needed to use much of it so would need to try it again to get a new opinion of it. I have several huge spools that I use for decoration, and a reminder we have come a long way.

I want to make sure that all are clear as to what we are trying to do at Fil-Tec, Inc./Bobbin Central.

#1 - We have wound some samples of polyester monofilament, and it is being tested as we speak. Assuming that it works well, I hope to have finished stock available by March.

#2 - We offer a bonded nylon (NOT MONOFIL) that is very very fine to the comforter industry. We offer this nylon yarn as a bobbin thread. I had an idea a few weeks ago that it could make a good alternative to monofilament because ...it is very fine, non-shiny, has high-temp resistance, will sew much better than monofil, etc...I had some of this bobbin thread wound on a king spool, and we sent this out for testing, along with some of the same yarn on ready-wound L bobbins with a 175 yds/bobbin. We even make this product in colors, but it is NOT monofilament. I personally think it could be a great alternative to Monofilament and the Bottom Line...

I use clear and smoke nylon on top and have never had a problem on my DSM or LA.

The Monopoly was too shiny for me when I tried it. Still have a couple cones. I have often thought of selling them.

What is the difference in mono and bonded? Will it break over time? High end comforters are not intended to be generational heirlooms or hand made as art.

Has any one tried the Aurifil clear?? I heard it is not as shiny. I bought a cone at MQX but have not used it - still have my other.

Connie - lucky you to try these things out! Thanks for asking:)

"bonded nylon (NOT MONOFIL):

I am obviously uninformed of the nuances of this topic ......

Can you explain this a bit more --- my assumption is rather than it being on long extruded line of plastic, yours is a series of shorter lengths bonded together --- but still a clear "plastic like" substance. Is that correct?

Can you expound on the virtues of "bonded nylon" vs "monofil" ?

Archived