The Bargello Project

There are 4 of us working on this Bargello. It required 116 different fabrics, so each of us provided 29 1/2 yard cuts. We worked together to cut all the 2.5" strips and then took the project with us to a week long quilt retreat. The finished piece was something like 168" long. From that piece we cut approximately 70" off. Basically we are making 2 quilts at once.

One of the four of us has finished her quilt and I quilted it. The pictures below are from Susan's quilt. We are all hoping to have our quilts finished before our guild's quilt show in May.

This project is challenging but the end product is wonderful.

post--13461908087296_thumb.jpg

Thanks, Ardelle,

What's really cool is that even though all four of us used the same fabric, we all used the colors in different postions so the quilts look entirely different. Once all of us are finished, I'll post pictures of all four. At the rate I'm going, mine won't be finished until soemtime in April... Chris Landis is doing this project, too. I think she and I are progressing at the same rate!

Oh, boy! Here we go! Yup. We are just a little bit crazy! Here are some pics of the center of three of the other bargello quilts. Yes, they are hanging from the third story window of a restored grain mill in Yellow Springs, Ohio! We were there for the weekend last November working on them!. The funniest thing about the whole thing is that we all missed this. "While there is significant fabric waste necessary to get the featured look...." SIGNIFICANT WASTE! 70 SOME INCHES OF SIGNIFICANT WASTE! :D:D:D:D At least we get another whole quilt from the "waste" More pics to post as we finish all the quilts By the way, Anna always gets me into trouble like this:D 6823029671_19051bcb5e_z.jpg

187 by chrisquilt00, on Flickr6823035991_792c706c40_z.jpg

192 by chrisquilt00, on Flickr6823032883_17857119db_z.jpg

190 by chrisquilt00, on Flickr

OH MY GOODNESS!!!! I was impressed with the first pics then saw Chris'...again...oh my goodness. It's beautiful and SCARY. I can't imagine doing it, but I bet it was a lot of fun with all of you. Thanks for sharing it.

It's fun seeing the four little hands holding it in the picture. A great "friends" picture.

LOL Oh Sylvia, there will be a total of 8 quilts! We pooled all our colors, Cut them into 2 inch strips and all four of us got two strips of all 116 colors. We then took them home and arranged the colors, each to his own. The pieced quit is so long that when we cut off the part we will use for our main quilt, there is almost 70 inches left to make another whole quilt! Anna posted Susan's finished quilt that she quilted. I posted my pieced top, Picture 1, Anna's top, picture 2 and Mary's top, picture 3. Anna will quilt Susan and her own quilts and I will quilt mine and Mary's.

Can you tell us where you obtained your pattern and how the fabric colors were chosen for the bargello quilts. I have 7 other quilting friends that may be interested in doing a repeat of this project and would like to have a little more information. The quilts are absolutely beautiful. If there were a total of 8 people participating in this project, would you then divide the amount of fabric supplied in half or do you need the 29 1/2 yard cuts to obtain the amount of fabric needed for the quilts. Thank for any and all the information.

Originally posted by agh

Can you tell us where you obtained your pattern and how the fabric colors were chosen for the bargello quilts. I have 7 other quilting friends that may be interested in doing a repeat of this project and would like to have a little more information. The quilts are absolutely beautiful. If there were a total of 8 people participating in this project, would you then divide the amount of fabric supplied in half or do you need the 29 1/2 yard cuts to obtain the amount of fabric needed for the quilts. Thank for any and all the information.

The pattern came from the August 2011 issue of American Patchwork and Quilting. I took a picture of the quilt in the Magazine and posted it here. I hope it does not break any copyright rules!. Basically the quilt requirements are 2)-2 inch strips of 116 colors. Because there were only for of us (we asked others and after looking at the pattern, most said NO! One friend said " Did I say no? I said "hell NO!!.) LOL Gotta love honest quilters. Also we picked autumn colors as our color scheme.

Anyway, so with only four of us, we need 8 strips of each color from our stash. 2 X 8 = 16inches, Hence the 1/2 yard. The more people the merrier and less fabric need from each person. Trust me. We have laughed, cursed, groaned and almost cried over these tops. There are a LOT! of seams in these quilts! LOL Anna and I are working on our borders even as we speak. The longer I work on this, the harder it is getting to match my corners. Can you say impatient! Good thing this is not a show quilt!6829578413_37d6b32820_z.jpg

004 by chrisquilt00, on Flickr

We have some funny pictures of us making this quilt. I need to find the one of Anna draped in all the cut strips! This is my attempt at organization of strips. Actually there are wooden clothes pins in that pile holding all the strip sets held separately and marked. I see the forest. Anna sees the trees. Thank goodness we share a brain so one picks up where the other leaves off!6823946345_6cf5ccf036_z.jpg

001 by chrisquilt00, on Flickr

Archived