Needle breaking advice please

I have had problems with needles breaking from time to time for no apparent reason. It's frustrating because I end up taking a few stitches after the needle breaks before I get the machine stopped and that has caused a tear in the quilt. My husband has become a champ at timing my Millie although breaking the needle doesn't always throw her out of timing. Does anyone have some advice for me? Am I the only one dealing with this? I love my Millie except when she does this!

Julie,

When I break a needle, it is usually with a thicker quilt sandwich and at a moment when I wasn't real decisive about which direction I wanted to take the machine.

Another thought, I've learned that I have less problems with tension and needle breakage if I place the area I want to quilt in the center between the back and front roller bar. For finicky quilts, I stay about 6" away from the roller bars when quilting.

Julie: Do you have any idea why you are breaking needles? I break them sometimes on thick seams. When I get out of sync with may stitch regulator, I'll hit the needle plate and damage the point of the needle-usually don't break the needle just ruin the point.

I broke a lot of needles when my needle bar was out of adjustment. The eye of the needle and the hook were in proper adjustment, but the bar was too low, and when the needle was flexed it would hit the hook before the taper that provided space for the needle. This caused scratches on the hook assembly. Check for that.

What size needle are you using. If it's smaller than a 4.0 that might be the reason. There's a lot of stress on the needle, so large ones hold up better than thin ones.

Good luck in your search. Jim

I just changed to a 4.0 needle from 3.5 to see if that would help but I think I changed to a 3.5 the last time I broke a needle hoping that would help. I talked to Mark F. at APQS and he is sending out a new bobbin assembly. Maybe that will be the fix. I don't expect Millie to trudge through really dense seams but I do expect her to keep on trucking when I'm playing nice and just quilting along normally. :)

Julie: I'm not sure I understand. It sounds like you replaced the hook? (the round metal assembly that clamps with screws to the hook shaft coming out of the front of the machine) I'm lost as to the black part. Do you mean the black "finger" that keeps the bobbin basket from rotating with the hook, or something different? My hook is all silver, but I've recently learned some are teflon coated, and the coating is probably black. Thanks for the update. I'm glad you're up and running now. Regards. Jim

Jim, most of the older hook assemblies that I've seen have a shiny silver outer part and a darker grey/black inner part (you're right, that's probably the teflon coating). The newer hook assembly that I recently had in my parts kit was all silver. I'm sure that Julie is talking about the inner part of the hook assembly being a little loose.

Archived