Batting Question/Need advice

I have been approached to do a quilt to be given at a "Homes for Our Troops" ceremony in the month of March. In the discussion with the client she has some concerns with what type of batting should be used. I suggested Quilters Dream or Hobbs 80/20. Both of which I use frequently and have no problems. Because this is going to a veteran with a paralytic injury she stated a concern with a cotton/poly blend when used in addition with an electric blanket....well first of all I am not in favor of using a quilt and an electric blanket together...but I was wondering if a wool batting would be a better suggestion for her....

I've never seen an electric blanket that would get that hot it would start a fire. It would burn the patient way before it would set a quilt on fire. So for that reason alone I would suggest any natural fiber (100% cotton or wool) batting as it won't melt even under the slight heat. Poly battings will melt even in the dryer on low heat so I wouldnt suggest a poly or plastic based batting.

It has been recommended to me to use wool in quilts for those with medical issues. In fact I was asked to make a quilt for a chemo patient and it was specified to have wool batting. Very light weight but still warm. Also much more flame retardant than poly batting. The new wool battings also wash beautifully. I use QD wool and love it. I have started putting it in my baby quilts. I don't care for the actual flame retardant battings (though have also used it often) so have switched to wool.

I don't know about batting this case.

I do wonder about a paralitic, and diabetics with feet trouble etc. and paraplegics using a heating blanket or hot pad. My Mother In Law was told, in the mid 80's that anyone with any paralysis, should not use an electric blanket or heating pad on the paralized areas. I guess it's because in most cases they do not have feeling in the paralized areas.

Just wondering how much treatments have changed since the mid 1980's .

I agree with Rita and the heating pads/electric blankets. Their not supposed to be used if diabetic/paralized. However, in the case of quilt batting, I would go with wool or

100% cotton. QD does have a fire retardent (Angel) batting which you can purchase in any size. I use it in all my baby/children's quilts.

Archived