Sign in to follow this  
Kay Anderson

Border quilting help, please

I have a quilt that has two borders on it, one 3 1/2" the other is about 5". I've done SID to stabalize the quilt. Now I think I want to do piano keys. My question is, "Have you ever done the piano keys straight accross two borders that have a SID done between them?" The fabrics are very busy, black and white, this stitching isn't going to show much but texture.

829834B6A4EFB2C9917C5B33099F9108.png

Run another line of stitching 1 1/2" inches from the SID in the 5" wide border as well as doing the piano keys and it wil look more balnced especially on the back!

Lyn Crump   Hand Guided 2013 Millenium Blissed and Gliding    APQS Sales Rep SE Qld Australia   www.busyquilting.com.au   On Facebook and Instagram as BusyQuilting

Attitude is everything - So pick a good one!

Originally posted by jeri

did piano keys across 2 borders recently and it worked well

I too have done this and another option is crosshatch over several borders.

Bonnie Botts

APQS Sales Rep - Certified Service Technician

APQS Millennium 2006---MJ

APQS Millennium 2004---Lucy

405-533-1025 home

518-935-3832 cell

"Absolute rules are about as useless in making quilts as they are in raising children" Carter Houck---1992

I decided to use Bonnie's approach. The crosshatch looks great.

Here is a tip if your ruler wants to slip on the fabric: Get some of that craft foam the kids love, with the sticky paper on back. That stuff is amazing! Easy to cut, the perfect thickness, the sticky makes it easy to add to your rulers and templates, and no more slipping! And it is so inexpensive.

829834B6A4EFB2C9917C5B33099F9108.png

Originally posted by Kay Anderson

I decided to use Bonnie's approach. The crosshatch looks great.

Here is a tip if your ruler wants to slip on the fabric: Get some of that craft foam the kids love, with the sticky paper on back. That stuff is amazing! Easy to cut, the perfect thickness, the sticky makes it easy to add to your rulers and templates, and no more slipping! And it is so inexpensive.

Thanks, Kay!! What a great idea... who would have thought???