Frustrating thread breakage

I'm wondering if it's not the thread, but the fabric???

Here are some thoughts you can consider. I have heard of this (not tried it though) and it might help:

Take a spray bottle and dilute some fabric softener in with water and spray the surface of the quilt. This might help loosen the fibers a bit to help stop the thread breakage.

Did you (just for curiosity) try a completely different cone of Glide to see if the problem still persisted? That way you would know if it's the thread or perhaps the quilt itself.

Hi Shana,

Thanks for that info about the fabric softner, I haven't heard of that one, I hadn't considered the fabric/wadding combo to be a problem, I have a moda on the back, dream cotton wadding, and various normal patchwork cottons on the top. I had only one cone in the colour which my customer chose, and was committed by that point and didn't have another one to use. There are so many variables aren't there? In the end I wound thread off the cone, then manually wound it back onto the cone, and this did help a bit.

I have just had to go alot slower with this one. It is always the longest quilts (111") that you get these problems isn't it???? Should have finished it ages ago..... such is life.....

Janette, I had this trouble with a Glide cone, it was because the top thread had accidentally got under itself, kinda like a slip knot and kept pulling and breaking, I took it off, held the cone upside down and let the thread fall off for a few feet made sure the bottom was locked on the cone properly as well and that was the last break. I hope this made sense.

Interestingly I had a problem with a Glide thread but using on my DSM. At the time I didn't have time to fiddle to much as I had other options but I will take a closer look at it.

As suggested I would also try a practice piece using a different sandwich. At least that rules out that possibility.

It may already have been mentioned but have you checked for any grooves in the guides which may need filing down?

Do let us know how you get on Jeanette and good luck today getting it finished.

By the way I rushed to get two quilts finished. I now have my new table to set up!!

I missed this, been busy, hope your thread is running more smoothly Janette, did you try the pantyhose/pop sock trick it does really help to stop the thread from just dropping off the cone and getting stuck under that ledge of thread around the bottom but don't have it too tight or too high up your cone, not past the shoulders...I spotted a bit of iffy tension on a customer quilt last night and realised that I had forgotten to put my sock on...good luck!

Originally posted by Borderline Quilter

.....to stop the thread from just dropping off the cone and getting stuck under that ledge of thread around the bottom .....

Hmmmmm... this made me think of something that I have done with success (for several years now) with my little Madeira Polyneon spools of thread...and it works FAB!

Rather than setting these little spools Horizontal, I set them Vertical. Why? you ask? Because standing them up vertically, the thread spools off much easier (and no hang up or breakage) But... at first, when I did that, I experienced the same problem with the thread slipping down and dropping off the spool (not a cone) underneath and getting stuck under that ledge of thread around the bottom ... causing a problem. Anyway, what I did to FIX this problem was :::

I built a NEST with a scrap of wool batting. Yes.. a NEST! Basically when I need to use my little spools of Madeira Polyneon, to keep the thread from slipping down, I made the little nest (poked a hole through the middle of the batting) and set the spool vertically on top of its nest and VIOLA! that nest keeps the slippery thread from sliding down. I have been doing this "nest' trick for several years and it works. Like a charm! :) :)

Thanks everyone for all your advice, however I believe that it did continue to be the cone at fault, Chris at Filtec contacted me and advised me that there have been a few issues with winding in a certain position which has caused snagging, catching and breaking on certain cones - they are going to replace the thread for me. (At least I know I am not going crazy...)

PS I still love glide thread......:):)

Hi, another thing to try is take the cone of thread and place the bottom outside edge against a table and roll it around on the table (while exerting some pressure). The idea is to reshape the bottom edge so is it isn't a sharp edge, but rather a rounded edge. I hope I have been able to explain properly. Good luck, Marion in BC

Archived