gear grease ooze

cblevins

Ever since we packed our gearbox with grease it has been oozing out. It comes out around the main dvive shaft that ends below the bobbin assembly. It does this while it is running. I got grease on my hand when changing a bobbin and didn't realize it until it showed up on the quilt I was working on!:( We wipe it off with every bobbin change now. Is it normal for this to happen? Ours was one of the Millies sold without grease in the gearbox so I am wondering if something should have been sealed before we added it. I always scrub my hands now after changing the bobbin.

That's a tough one Cheri.. I'd think its not going to leak if packed good, so am wondering if you forced grease into it? Thats force into it.

The other thing, which I hope you are smarter than, did you check all nuts or bolts, etc, to make sure all are tightened as needed.

We sometimes forget the smallest things, and end up with a mess, but NOT on my Lenni!! I stopped him from that with bellowing like a moose or what elephants do.

Beyond that, I dunno. ;)

Hope you find a solution, maybe call the office

Dang! Does that means taking her off and turning her upside down again? LOL

I will give you or Amy a call in the morning. Thanks, I was worried I would have to watch my hands for grease from now on. At least the one I got grease on was mine. I think it will come out when I wash it.

• 3 months later...

Hi Beth,

Clean the area really good with rubbing alcohol and also the black cap, then super glue or silicone it back on to the machine. Make sure it is securely on and set up before using the machine so it doesn't pop back off. :)

Yep, you are right Cathy, that is why like Nigel said, the gel super glue works great because you can get it right on the edge of the cap so you don't get it on the shaft in the center of the bushing that you are covering up! :)

Archived