Oh no! less than 4 inches!

I belong to a small group of quilting friends. One of our members lost her DH recently, and the rest of the group made a lap quilt for her as a "love" gift. I have only recently begun to be brave enough to quilt for others, but volunteered to quilt this nice little quilt. Before loading I discovered that they had only allowed about 3 inches extra for the backing. I was worried, but figured if I was careful and started the top as close as possible I might get away with it.

Well, I'm sure you know what is coming. I quilted a pantograph, and, on the last roll - OH NO! there wasn't enough backing to complete the quilting. Fortunately, there was enough to finish the top, just not enough to attach to my leaders.

I unloaded the quilt, basted a piece of muslin to the backing and remounted the quilt. I matched the center marks on the backing with the center marks on my leaders. After much fussing around and many warm words, I have been able to complete that final row.

I use red snappers to mount my backing, and do a full float on the top.

I hear from those of you who rent machine time that your customers unload and reload quilts all the time. What are the tricks involved in getting the quilt re-mounted in exactly the same position as the original mount? I was eventually successful, but spent a LONG TIME on it. I can't imagine that it is that difficult, so what am I missing?

I think the red snappers take up a lot of that 3 inches. Good that you were able to pull it off with the muslin. I struggle with getting them lined back up completely too, but I have been having better luck by marking where the middle of the quilt is, and then I wrap blue painters tape around the bar (you would use for the top if you weren't floating), at both ends of the quilt as kind of markers of where the edges should line up. It's been working pretty good, and also gives me a guideline to try to keep the quilt square while quilting it.

Hope that makes sense.

I have had them where the top and bottom were almost the same size. So long as there is an inch or two on the sides I can make it work...of course I would prefer a lot more....lol If there is not much extra from top to bottom, I pin the top right on with the backing. I always float my tops. So far I have never came up "short"...but have to admit, it is a concern. I think I have "educated" my regular customers now....lol...about what I need to have in length and width.

I have never used snappers or zippers. And I have never taken one off and put it back on except for the one time I "turned" a quilt to do the borders. But I always us the center mark on the canvas to set up so figure that would help if I were to take off and put back on. Oh, I aways put a pin in the canvas quilt bar that lines up with a "line" in the quilt...usually the line where the border is attached. That keeps me straight as I quilt.

I rent machines out...renters are asked to use zippers as the zipper lines up perfectly every time--no need to stress over having to complete the quilt in a certain time period. I have a machine that only I use and I do not have zippers on that one. I actually like to use the zippers on my customer's quilts as I can use my serger to put the zippers on and then zip a backing on much faster than pinning. I usually only pin or zip the backing and then float my tops. If the zipper is put on with the chain stitch on my serger it is so fast to remove the zipper (like opening a bag of dog food--just find the right thread and pull)

Hmm. I bought zippers, but have never used them - I heard such good reports on the snappers that I decided I'd get them instead. I know some people use zippers with a short extra leader for their snappers. I don't expect to be unmounting very often, but perhaps having the zippers in that case would be good.

BTW, the quilt came out just fine - I just had to fiddle a bit with locating the laser light after remounting.

If I have this situation again, I think I will pin, because the snappers do take extra backing.

I do love the Red Snappers but they require more backing fabric. It's okay for me since I mostly do my own quilts. But I had the zippers on my Millie and I liked them, too. I have taken the dowel out of the casing and pinned to the leader when I was short on backing fabric.

Bonnie, I am so glad to hear you are having a good time with your Millie!

Archived