channel lock problem

I have a 2005 Millennium. I am new to the forum.

My husband has been trying to check things out with me.

I am trying to move my machine Horizontal (left to right) and my Vertical locks do not stay locked, or they won't lock and will all of a sudden lock when I try to move it forward and backward.

The solenoid is getting the signal and is activating, but the dog isn't engaging into the teeth of the gear instantly.

We have taken the solenoid off tighten the 2 screws that held it in place, so it isn't wobbling, spring appears to be fine, no drag on the dog that engages into the gears.

What can we do to solve this problem?

One other question:

Once it is locked in , how much pressure should it withstand before it moves ?

We can move it with just a push of a finger. Is this right?????

We had this problem not too long ago. Have you tried unplugging the plug that is just to the right of the machine on the back side, where the wheels are? I've had that fix it before. This time, my husband had to tighten the encoder box just a smidge to allow it to make contact with the rail a little more. I wish you luck. It is frustrating. Tomorrow, Amy will be in at APQS and she may have more insight on it.

Randi,

First, your channel lock will not feel like a true 'lock' in that it is really designed to provide resistance in one direction or the other. Otherwise you'd risk developing a flat spot on the wheels over time. It won't grip like a vise. However, the little swing arm should ratchet all the way into the teeth of the locking gear. You'd hear a grinding sound if you were able to move it while the swing arm was engaged only partially. If it's biting in firmly, and then you push the machine, the wheel may be sliding on the actual rail. Then the lock is functioning properly.

It sounds like the solenoid is functioning properly but not always allowing the swing arm to lock into the teeth on your channel lock disk. There are two more small adjustments you can try. If you loosen the gold bolt under the large wheel next to the channel lock you're working on, you'll be able to swing the entire channel lock unit slightly left or right to better position it so that the swing arm locks into place every single time. In addition, you'll want to position it so that the solenoid arm fully extends each time.

You can also check to be sure the swing arm is not retreating too far when the channel lock is released. If you look at the small end of the channel lock assembly where the swing arm is located, you'll see a very small allen set screw in the end of the mounting bracket. That can be adjusted to keep the swing arm from drawing away too far from the locking wheel.

Also, take a look at the small spring that encircles the solenoid piston. There is a little, small "ear" on the wire that could slip into the housing on the solenoid. Make sure the spring is fully out of that area.

You don't mention if you have the new 'Bliss' drive system or if you have M & M wheels. These features have slightly different characteristics than the standard channel locks that would have come on your 2005 machine originally.

Give us a call if you need to; we'll get it figured out together!

We have had it completely apart, The dog had no burrs. The solenoid acts like it is working but not enough power to engage, unless it is right on a groove.

the screw that holds the dog that engages into the carriage wheel has a piece of white Teflon to space out the dog.. when that screw was loosened to check out the dog pin it doesn't allow smooth movement when re tightened..was it locked in place with a lock-tite material ?

post--13461908160455_thumb.jpg

Archived