Attempting to change hopping foot. HELP!

Callie_Grace

I have an Ultimate 1 and was changing out the old hopping foot to the new interchangeable hopping foot. Well we did all the steps as stated on the instruction sheet, but when we got to putting the hook assembly back on the shaft! We pushed and pushed, but it is about 1/4 inch away from where is should be. I don't want to mess up the hook asembly or the gears. Do you have any ideas? I plan to call first thing tomorrow.

Sorry for your problems. Sometimes when the hook assembly is removed there are divots on the shaft from the tight screws that hold it in place.

Get some fine-grit sandpaper, turn on the machine and set it at the slowest speed. Hold the sandpaper on the shaft as if you were shining a shoe ;) and start the machine. The sandpaper should smooth out the divots and allow you to set the assembly on the shaft. Good luck!

Callie, as Linda says, you need to remove the "divots" on the shaft. If you have a flat, fine toothed file, you can hold it next to the shaft and run the machine on its lowest manual speed. Finish with the sandpaper. Keep testing with the hook assembly - the goal is to be able to slide the assembly back onto the shaft easily and be able to spin it around the shaft, an important step in re-timing. If you're at all intimidated by this, give APQSA call tomorrow morning. They'll walk you through it!

Callie,

I am sending you instructions on "timing" the machine which will discuss removing the burrs that Linda and Barb are talking about. However, the problem may also be that you have inadvertently pulled the brass shaft bushing out while trying to remove the hook in the first place. Take a look at the area behind the hook shaft collar (that's the darker collar that rests behind the hook assembly and keeps it in place) and see if you can spy the brass bushing behind it. If it has come forward, you may see a darker "ring" around the brass indicating where it "used to live" (kind of like ring around the collar on a shirt). If you do see that line, then it's a sign the brass bushing was dislodged when you pulled the hook assembly off. Give us a call so we can walk you through "re-seating" that.

However, if it is still in the same location as before, then it's likely you do have the small divots or burrs that are preventing you from sliding the hook all the way back on. Let us know how it's going!

Archived