Glide thread vs Superior

Let me put it this way.... For me I like both thread companies, but as I run out of Superior threads I will be replacing all of my Sew Fine and Bottom Line with Glide. It's a personal thIng....I'm liking the Glide better it's runs smoother in my machine I rarely get tension problems and love the magna bobbins. It's as simple as that for me. Should I need to use a really thick thread which I also like I'll go towards the Lava and Perma-core of Superior Threads.

I use the two brands a lot. For those quilts that want/need a little pizazz or shot of color, I use the Magna-Glide. For those quilts that call for a more traditional look, I use the Superior SoFine. I don't think i'd give up either one. My machine loves both and that's what clinches the deal for me. No tension hassles with either one.

I agree with Sylivia...........both threads are wonderful and I have some of each. Depending on the project, I use Superior So Fine, Lava, Omni and So Fine #30 (Brytes). Also love the Glide thread and their Affinity thread. Glide has a pretty sheen to it, but if you want a more "cotton" look, I go with So Fine or Omni. Both companies have good service and SO MANY PRETTY COLORS ! :P:P:P:P:P

Glide is my favorite thread because it is so pretty on most quilts and it is the easiest thread to adjust tension issues. I do love the new brites, rainbows and so fine from superiors variegated threads because of the beautiful effects on quilting.

I piece with sew fine, hand appliqué with sew fine and do background quilting with sew fine, also for texture the solid colors blend with the fabrics very well.

Corey

I have an assortment of threads. Most are Superior So-Fine, Lava and Omni. I also have a few cones of Connecting Threads Essential Pro. And I have a stash of Maxi Swirl serger thread I use on occasion as well

I've only used the sample cone of Glide thread in a Gold color. Ran well. Shiny thread, so it depends on the "look" you want---

I do use Fil-Tec Magna "Glide" prewounds all the time....My bobbin winder is collecting dust! I've been using the Glide pre wounds for about 6 months now, and I don't think I'm ever going back to winding my own bobbins. I run the pre wounds with all my Superior and other threads---no thread or tension problems.

Originally posted by Bonnie

Let me put it this way.... For me I like both thread companies, but as I run out of Superior threads I will be replacing all of my Sew Fine and Bottom Line with Glide. It's a personal thIng....I'm liking the Glide better it's runs smoother in my machine I rarely get tension problems and love the magna bobbins. It's as simple as that for me. Should I need to use a really thick thread which I also like I'll go towards the Lava and Perma-core of Superior Threads.

Have you used their varigated thread? doe you have any issues with varigated or the cotton thread from Glide? I can not get king tutt varigated to run successfully in my millie and it is really frustrating.

Guest Linda S

I took a thread class from Bob Purcell of Superior Threads once. He said using one type of thread on your longarm is like allowing your husband to buy a big screen tv and then only watching one channel. He's right! I'd say Glide is my favorite thread, but Superior makes lots of thread that I enjoy using. At one time (I think they've added variegated since), I had all of the colors of So Fine. Just depends on the application -- do you want thicker and shinier, or do you want thin and matte? Nice to have a lot of options!

Originally posted by quietlifeaz

Originally posted by Bonnie

Have you used their varigated thread? doe you have any issues with varigated or the cotton thread from Glide? I can not get king tut varigated to run successfully in my millie and it is really frustrating.

Not yet for the variegated but as I need a certain color I will be purchasing. I've never liked cotton threads, but that's me. I do use cotton wrapped thread for piecing but not for quilting. In my quilts from the 50-70s which my grandmother quilted by hand They really should be redone as the threads have started to break down. It's really what you like its not what some else says. There aren't any thread police. I like how the quilting looks with Glide, Lava and Perma-cord but have used Signature, serger threads, tiny spools of dress making threads. Depending on what I had in the cupboard and if the color was the one I wanted.

I love so fine and bottomline threads from superior. I have a sample of glide thread that I have yet to try. I have some metro cones as well. I prefer a matte thread compared to shiny...so metro sits on the shelf unless I need the color...and only then when the shiny doesnt compete with the fabric. I view glide to be similar to metro and isacord embroidery threads.

Kelly, try loosening up the tension of your quilt top and the King tutt should work better. I used to get mine so tight and have problems with the thread breaking. Someone told me to loosen up my quilt top (so you can poke your finger from the bottom of the quilt and you can grab the top of your fingers between the quilt), so I loosen it and my king tutt thread doesn't break as much. Now, I love quilting with King Tutt. I use the Guide, So fine (I like it on my bobbins), Omni, Fil-Tec Harmony is a great cotton thread, and I just ordered the Superior So Fine 40 Veriegated to try. I'm also going to try the Medeira Polyester thread next. I think it is good to have a variety.

I've only used glide so I can't comment on the difference, but I have used the variegated Harmony cotton from fil tec, and it worked very nicely. It had a nice cotton look to it, and the color variation was nice. My only problem was it had a lot of lint, and since I only use glide, I wasn't used to that:P:P It kind of freaked me out that I had to clean my machine after each row.

Originally posted by Hitomi

Kelly, try loosening up the tension of your quilt top and the King tutt should work better. I used to get mine so tight and have problems with the thread breaking. Someone told me to loosen up my quilt top (so you can poke your finger from the bottom of the quilt and you can grab the top of your fingers between the quilt), so I loosen it and my king tutt thread doesn't break as much. Now, I love quilting with King Tutt. I use the Guide, So fine (I like it on my bobbins), Omni, Fil-Tec Harmony is a great cotton thread, and I just ordered the Superior So Fine 40 Veriegated to try. I'm also going to try the Medeira Polyester thread next. I think it is good to have a variety.

I will try that..I have tried every possible combination of upper and lower thread tension and either get loops on the top or eyelashes or "top thread spots" on the back --- once I go past that I get thread breakage...will try loosening the quilt top itself.....as I do love the varigated threads I have on hand and so want to use them.

Don't feel bad, Kelly. I tried every conceivable trick to get King Tut to work with my Millie and it just wouldn't stitch right. Finally got tired of the frustration and sold my cones on hand to another gal and they worked fine in her Handi Quilter. I had a Handi Quilter before I got my Millie and used King Tut all the time. LOVED IT! So, I have found other threads that my machine likes and will stick with them. Omni, Lava, Brytes, Sew Fine, Bottom Line from Superior and Glide and Affinity from Fil-Tec. I can get "the look" I want from those threads and they come in such pretty colors. I use mostly the Magna Glide Classic or Delights from Fil-Tec or the prewounds from Superior - Super Bobs. I have wound my own at times as well if I needed a special color for just one project.

I can't get King Tut to run on my machine either. I have tried and tried. I use mostly So Fine and BL, but I have found that Isacord runs great on my machine. I like the shine. And, they sell it at the sewing machine shop by my house. I know exactly what color I'm getting. I have not tried Glide. Sounds like I need to give it a try.

Peggy

i haven't met a Superion thread I didn't like. And, lucky us, the Glide thread is awesome. Love the MagnaGlide bobbins. My turbo winder is like an art object in my studio. It just sits there looking real pretty. Maybe I should decorate with some glitzy fabric flowers. My Gammill friends have discovered the Glide thread and MagnaGlide bobbins. They have somehow solved their tension problems they were experiencing with other threads. Who let the secret out?!!!

Aren't we lucky to have such fantastic products available to us quilters?