Glide thread vs Superior

Originally posted by DoryJM

Bonnie, are you winding your own bobbins with the Glide or using the magna-glide bobbins as well?

Only wind bobbins of threads not Glide, as I use up the Superior, and others I will be replacing with Glide. Right now I'm using magna-glides with all threads I can get close to in color. Having great results with magna bobbins and Lava or other thicker threads in top. And as I am buying threads to replace my So Fine stash I'm replacing with matching Glide top nd bottom. I also like the threads to show, yet it vanishes in the ditch. The 60 weight threads are way to thin for my likes.

I to love both threads. I am buying quite alot of the glide though because the price is right. I also love the sheen of the glide thread. I haven't had any problems with tension of either thread. I'm with Shana. There are a lot of great threads out there. I also love So Fine and Bottom Line.

I love both threads. I just went to the Mid-Atlantic Quilt Festival and got some OMNI and SoFine varigated to try.

My top pick is Glide and now their Perma-Soft. I love how it runs with little to no tension problems.

I only use the magna-glide, magna-glide delites and magna-quilt prewound bobbins. Superior SoFine and LAVA runs great with these bobbins.

• 8 years later...

I've used both cotton thread and polyester in quilting, and found the polyester deteriorates much more quickly over time.  From my experience, this tends to occur most often in the binding (a simple fix).  On the one hand, I love the price of polyester, but on the other, I prefer the how long a good cotton thread can endure the test of time.

Linda,

It is great to see new members using the forum.  I hope to see some of your quilting in the future.  

Here is a link and the information to Superior Thread, where they address the issue of thread life, both cotton and polyester.  While the polyester thread color may fade, it appears that it will not deteriorate as cotton does over the years.  Their input may surprise you.  

https://www.superiorthreads.com/education/what-is-the-shelf-life-of-thread

Have a wonderful day.  I guess as we stay indoors we have more time to piece and quilt.

Cagey

How many years does thread last?

Q. I have inherited a rather significant thread stash from a friend. It's a grand selection with a wide range of cotton threads and some are even wound onto the old wooden spools that make me think of my grandmother's sewing area. I'm worried about using old thread and having trouble with it as it runs through my machine. How can I tell if the thread is still OK to use? Is there a shelf life or a recommended period of use for thread?

A. A good quality thread that is produced today will last much longer than thread which was produced 15 or 20 years ago. Even the best quality cotton thread of a generation ago did not have the advanced processing techniques available to us today and it would probably be best to not sew or quilt with old thread that exists today.

However, a high-quality cotton thread that is manufactured today, like MasterPiece and King Tut, will probably be fine to use in 40 or 50 years from now. Why will threads that are manufactured today last longer than threads manufactured 20 years ago? The difference is due to the advancements in spinning, dyeing, and twisting technology and the evolution of genetic engineering better cotton plants. Because cotton is a natural fiber, it will degrade over time. A good test to check whether or not the cotton threads you have been given are OK to use in your machine is to hold about a one foot section between both hands and pull apart. If the thread snaps (you should feel a nice, crisp break), then it is OK to use. If the thread just separates and pulls apart easily (think of pulling a cotton ball apart), we don't recommend using it.

As for polyester thread, the color may fade over the years with exposure to sunlight, but there is no evidence that the thread deteriorates like cotton threads, so it's safe to say that synthetic fibers will last longer.