Buyers remorse?

JC, you have already been given some wonderful advice from my sisters and brother above so I will just reiterate that if need to exam why you are feeling this way. I suspect it is because you are like most of us, not wanting to spend "that much money" on ourselves. Believe all of us, we are worth it and you will have such pleasure out of seeing all the beautiful quilts you turn out and being part of our family is just an added bonus. Best wishes on your final decision.

For myself, I justified my purchase of the APQS Freedom SR in 2007, as my new "car". I still drive around in my 10 year old Nissan Sentra - it runs, I have no desire to replace a car every couple of years. I am not in the business of quilting for others. Not into drinking, smoking, jewelry, etc., my only "addiction" - quilting. And I sure am happy with my "car" investment.

Dear All: Read this thread, re read this thread, and printed this thread as part of my ongoing search to value myself. I'm surprised to find myself constantly trying to value myself enough to spend money or time on myself. I put myself thru college, then on to MA, married, made good financial decisions both on the weekly things and the long term items. Quit full time teaching to be at home and run things,but most of the time had part time jobs, raised 4 (wonderful and challenging) children, moved across the country 5 times, resettling and such, managed to put all children thru higher education AND married off the 2 girls...to wonderful husbands.

I also managed to become very competent alterations, home/dec, and quilter. SO why is it so hard to be good to myself? We all have the skills to evaluate whether the money is there, and if it is how it can best be used at the time. Why is it so hard to put our needs into the equation on an equal footing with everything else?

One of the things I hear on this forum over and over is that you are worth it....The encouragement all these members have for each other is so uplifting. I am of an age that the attitude was that women were second class to men in professions. Housework, raising children, and such were not "worth" much, therefore neither were women.... I realize I have spent a great amount of time correcting this, and coming to value myself as an equal. It has been hard on my husband, he is outwardly helpful, but in his core is much like his upbringing. My children have seen me work hard my whole life, but seeing me dress nicely and "play" with my hobbies makes them a little uncomfortable. I think they got stuck with the image of me as "mom" ,,, my bad....

I bought my milli after playing with the machines at Houston. The staff there were just as they are here on the forum, helpful, respectful, encouraging. I really surprised my husband by putting $ down before I came home. I really surprised myself by following through at each step, doing the practice, and really enjoying the quilting, despite the cost. I have found that in the 3 years I have had milli , I have had no regrets, indeed I look to it's purchase as the thing that made lots of other decisions so much easier to make.

This is too long, but I think that everyone ought to be brave (when possible) and try their wings...we tend to see the things that could go wrong instead of the wonderful things that could happen; if the money is there, try it.

JC nothing ventured, nothing gained... Try not to be afraid...best of luck, Pat

PS to all forum members, thank you so much for the insight and encouragement, my life is so different now.;)

Guest Linda S

Good post, Pat. I've never regretted buying my machine either, but I have run into several folks who have bought a variety of machines, only to find that quilting on a big machine was not for them. My very first paying client, when I started out, bought an HQ16. She told me she just loved it. A few months ago she called and asked me to do another quilt for her. When I asked what happened to her machine, she said, "I still have it, but I'll never be good at it like you are, and I just don't want to hassle with it." Longarm quilting is something most of us just love, but it's not for everyone. This client, I must say is one of the best piecers I've ever had. I'm glad she'll be bringing me more quilts!

I saved for 5 years to buy a longarm. When it came time, I got cold feet and almost didn't go through with the pruchase. I bought a factory refurbished Liberty so I would not have to wait even longer to have the cash to buy a new machine.

I think one of the fears I had was just telling my husband what I did. He doesn't have any hobbies (likes to read, but that's about it), so I couldn't compare my hobby to the cost of one of his. He was indeed shocked, but he really didn't say much. I never actually told him what I spent, but he has to have some idea. :)

BTW, I never regreted buying my Liberty.

I think we all had buyers remorse at some point. But, we get over it. I agree with Bonnie, if it doesnt mess with the mortgage or other financial obligations, then weigh the pro's and con's and decide. Once you have made the decision, accept it. I look at my machine as my boat in the basement. There are countless ways to spend our hard earned money. I don't know of a single person who has regretted buying their machine. You don't have to wait for a "great day" to take her out for a spin;););). Some people buy expensive cars, boats, jewelry, etc... I bought a Millie!! Yea, and I couldn't be happier. I wish I could quilt like these forum people do, but it will come with practice. Since I really only quilt for me, the learning curve is wide;) Maybe I will never get really good at it. It doesn't really matter because I love the process. I hope you find these posts helpful. No one here will try to talk you into buying a machine. We can only tell you our experience. Hope you are happy with your decision.

I knew I wanted a long arm machine since I first used one. Of course the price was a huge factor for me and at that time there didn't seem to be any good used machines to look at. When I found this forum I lurked here for about 2 yrs before I found my machine here.

What I did to raise the money for my machine...I went through all of my sewing/crafting stash, sorted it out and sold a bunch of it. I was able to raise a bunch of money that way, along with some yard sales and my tax return....had enough to get my machine and some accessories:P

Archived