Where to purchase muslin (by the bolt)

Hi all.

Here's my story: I have 12 quilts from the same person, they were made by his great grandmother, and I will be finishing them all the way to the binding. He wants them backed simply with muslin. Since he is leaving it up to me, I think some seem to need unbleached muslin, and some need bleached muslin (white).

Now my question is where do you usually purchase your muslin, by the bolt? Do you use your coupons for Joanns or do you buy from your LQS, or is there someplace online?

I know I will have plenty leftover of both, but I think buying by the bolt is the way to go.

Thanks!

Tina

Tina, if you have that many quilts (12) to back with muslin, you're right...buying it by the bolt would be cheaper and easier. Load the entire thing on the longarm. Most of the bolts come in 15 yards (45" wide) but maybe you want the 90" wide so you don't need to piece the backs? If you wanted to save some bucks, I suppose you could use the 40% coupon from Jo-Ann but I'm not sure if it's the best quality fabric. You could ask your customer if he is OK with that or if he'd rather go with quilt shop quality muslin. Please post photos of the quilts when your done. I'd love to see them!

Shana

Guest Linda S

I've bought muslin by the bolt both at Checkers www.checkerdist.com and at Marshall's Dry Goods www.marshalldrygoods.com. I've liked the quality better at Marshall's. I think the price was slightly better too, but that was about a year ago.

Linda

I have purchased bolts from Joanns and I have gotten nicer Moda muslin from Hancocks of Pauducah online - http://www.hancocks-paducah.com. You could call them and see if they would sell it to you on the bolt. The muslin at Joanns can be thin sometimes, that's why I switched to Moda muslin. My local Quilt store started carrying it also. Just depend how much money you want to spend.

I will have to check out what Linda suggested! She always has great ideas!:)

Tina,

There are a couple of place here in Missouri, one is FabriQuilt, and the other is Haiks, Inc. If you have a business license you can order from them, wholesale. I have not done it yet, but I know other quilters in my area that have gone to FabriQuilt and purchased. I don't think it is a problem.

Do you have a good relationship with your LQS...if so maybe you can get them to order the Moda for you and let you purchase it at their cost, or at least a huge discount.

A regular bolt usually has between 12 to 15 yards on it, so with this many quilts depending on size you might go though 3 bolts. You can inquire about the larger bolts...they have 30 yards on them...Hancocks of Paducah does have them and they also have the Moda muslin.

Or at least they did when I ordered mine last winter....same problem as you, 13 Christmas identical 3D quilts....yuck I was so tired of Christmas by the time I got these done. She wanted each one to be quilted alike...so everyone wouldn't fight over yours is prettier than mine.

Thanks for the info.

Shana, can I really load an entire bolt? I thought it would be too bulky. And yes, I do want the 90 wide...I really do not want to piece those backs.

I do have a business license/tax id, so I can order wholesale. When my little guys go down for their nap, I'll call Haiks, Marshall, Fabriquilt, and Checkers. I need to figure which one has the best minimum order and requirements for me. I'm still a newbie, and i don't want to get in over my head. I need to find out their prices too, they don't really list them.

Bonnie, luckily these quilts are not all the same theme, that would be so boring! Plus, he's in no hurry for them, he only wants 2 of them by Christmas. Although I'd like to get more of his completed by then.

Thanks!

Tina

Hi Tina. I think if you squared the muslin by tearing the top, bottom and sides, you can roll this all on without a problem... just make sure to measure the length of the backing fabric and measure the quilt tops before putting it all on the roller to ensure you have enough for quilting a few quilt tops (don't want to run out of backing fabric in the middle of a quilting job!)

Hi Shana. I was just reading the post about squaring the backing...I have never done the tearing before. I will try it on a smaller piece before I attempt to do large yardage.

Do you think I will have to cut off the quilts as I go? I'm afraid it will get too bulky on the take up roller. The quilts are all just smaller than queen size, and I will use a thin batting. Also, I am planning to load them side to side, rather than top to bottom at least for the ones that are shorter.

Thanks.

Most definitely you will need to cut each finished quilt off. Just like you said you would run out of space and then you would be in a pickle.

Depending on how many yards are on your bolt....I don't think I would try to wind on more than 12 yards at a time, but with a little experimenting I'm sure you can tell if its going to work for you before you start actually quilting. Would hate for you to get into one and then find out it won't work like we think it should.

Good luck and let us know how it works. I've only wound up enough to do two quilts...never more than that.

Just a thought--if you load all the bolt and then only get two tops done before you might need to do an emergency top, you will need to unload all the rest. Loading enough for a couple of tops seems like a better idea. Also, will you load batting as you go? Yards of batting hanging down will be quite a challenge.

Everybody has such good advice and is so willing to help. This site is great!

Linda Rech

I've bought by the bolt at Fabri-Quilt. They have widths up to 118". I just bought a 15 yard bolt of 118" wide sateen that's in their "Quilter's Basics" line. They also have 90" & 108" wide muslin. They have at least 2 newer lines that have some colors with those widths called Suede, & Dreams. Their phone # is 816-421-2000 or 800-279-0622.

email: www.fabri-quilt.com

Hope that helps some.

I just finished 2 large laps, 4 wall hangings and 1 table runner (belonging to me) on one single piece of backing. I did it more as a test for myself. Worked great. Didn't cut between the quilts. And on the last one, I knew I'd be close but chose to quilt it anyways.... I was two inches shy of backing. It was a good lesson/practice. Was able to add the extra inches. I'd do it again as long as they weren't large quilts.

Archived