Top and bottom thread skipping (not catching)

This is my very first posting so I really need help. I have an old Ultimate II that has been sewing like a dream for a long time with any thread. So here is the problem. Using King Tute thread, I quilt along with beautiful stitches, and out of no where the stitches "skip" on top and bottom, and then start back up with normal stitching. Of course I quilted a lot before I noticed this, and only did so because the thread broke. I change my needle and adjusted my tension. When that didn't do the trick I re-threaded everything and cleaned out the bobbin case. Is this a simple or common thing? Any ideas on the fix?

You mentioned changing needle and tension, but did you really clean it. When mine would do this a extra deep cleaning would be my first step with a good oiling in the hook assembly, and if that didn't work I would look at the timing. My old ULT II would sew like a dream for multi quilts and then just for no reason start to skip. It was usually a dust bunny lodged in the bobbin area wedged inside where you can only reach with extra WD40 and tons of air or it was dust under the bobbin spring so make sure thats clean as well. Then maybe look at the timing...just hitting all thise thick seams was enough to jump the timing for my 1996 machine. Sometimes just turning the needle eye slightly towards 6:35 it would make better contact with the hook. Also when was the last time you looked at a new hook assmbly, being its a ULT II just wondering when it was last changed out.

Archived