Can thread be the culprit?

One stitch issue solved. Now on to another.

Small baby quilt - Thank goodness, because I am ripping 3 rows.

My client brought signature thread for the top and I was using cotton bobbins for the bottom. My goodness - it looks good for awhile and then loops on the back. The front looks perfect but the back is terrible.

Can cheap thread cause this problem?

I have cleaned the bobbin case, oiled, blew everything out, changed the needle ...

I am now ripping and will have to put it back on the machine but do not want to use this thread if this is the culprit.

I plan to put on some muslin before I start again but do not know if this is a tension or thread problem.

Suggestions please.

My Millie does not like Signature thread, I spent alot of time with Dawn trying to adjust tension and never could get it to work very well. So I sold all my signaure thread to a friend who owns a gammill and use So Fine and everything looks great. Hope this helps, Tonia

Guest Linda S

I have a Towa tension gauge and have to admit to checking every. single. bobbin. as it goes in the machine. I even check the Magna-Glides. You never know when the way a bobbin has been wound will affect its tension on the core, and I don't want to be picking stitches out all the time. Gopher guts on the back of the quilt are most often caused by over-rotation of the bobbin as you go into more pronounced curves or hit points. The bobbin keeps spinning at its usual rate, even though the machine has slowed to take the curve or form the point. If your bobbin spring isn't doing its job, you might want to try magic genie bobbin washers for magna glide bobbins. Always, always, always check your tension, even if it's just reaching under the top and feeling after the first few inches of quilting. I'd much rather have to rip out two inches of quilting than three rows any day.

I think cotton top and cotton in bobbin is a bit tricky and not for the beginner... It is possible to use it, but it is a bit challenging...

Instead, I suggest you use Signature on top and So Fine or Bottom Line in the bobbin (or another poly thread in the bobbin)

PS I love Signature. :)

Tonilyn, are you winding your own bobbins, and if so, what machine or device are you using? Often self wound, unless so tight you can barely dent the thread in the bobbin, then that could be the problem.If you have the Side Winder,you might want to try something else. I ended up throwing mine out. I now use the Turbo winder, which works really well, and I appreciate the dependability of the constant good tension for various threads. I've only had to change the tension when using a fairly heavy thread.

Good luck,

God Bless,

RitaR

Tonilyn: I don't let my customers provide thread, or even choose the type. All they get to do is pick the color. The tension issues and thread breakage for long arms are such that introducing new products present just too much risk. I try to do the same with batting. I provide it off the roll, at a reasonable cost, so I know how things should work. I'll sometimes use customer provided batting, but ask that on future quilts they let me provide it. Makes life a lot easier. Jim

Archived