Bunching top

jajab

Help I did my first quilt and the top bunched bad. I took out all the stiching and did it again. It was better. I left it. 7 hours with a seam ripper is enough for me. I tried to do a table runner today and I am having the same problem. The backing is fine though. Any advice would be appreciated. Plus. any adive on how to get rid of all though holes where the first stitches were.

Angela:(

Without pictures it a little hard to see what you're calling bunching.

It might be several things; was your top tight enough and clapped on the sides...

Also sometimes if you have the top to tight it bunches some when you let it loose. You didn't state how much of a bunch you were getting or if you had tucks....

As far as how to get rid of the original holes....if you were doing a fabric like Batik it will take a washing cycle to get them out....if your fabric was regular cotton, sometimes you can get rid of them with just spraying them with a little plain water or heavy steam from an iron. But either way they normally come out in the laundry.

Is it just bunched on the sides? If you used poly batting,

be careful with your steam. Light spray of water

usually works for me. Or just give the fabric a rub so the

threads go back together. But like Bonnie said, a wash will

take care of that. I always recommend that the client wash

the quilt after it is has the binding to get rid of chalk dust, stray thread etc.

But you have to give us a photo. We love to share.

Thanks for the replies. I already took the stitching out so I can't post a picture. All I can say is that the back was nice and flat and the top was not flat. Not sure how to describe the bunching. It was puffy between the stitching. I guess I will give it another try. It's for a christmas present that I have to get done tomorrow plus make another one that I haven't even cut the fabric for. Thanks for the advice on getting rid of the holes. It might be a long night.:P

Angela

Red Leaf Quilting

Okay....that makes a little more sense. Sound like you don't have the top on tight enough....its not to be even close to drum tight, but it needs to be smooth.

You should have some claps that you can put on the sides, but if you don't or they don't reach the top clap them on the batting and the backing....then flatten out the top the best you can and pin down the edges ....don't hit the pins and be sure to remove them as you roll your quilt on the take up pole.

This should make a world of difference in the top.

HOWEVER...if the pinning down the side still doesn't take up all the slack...I sometimes stuff batting under the poles to take up some of the slack that pins and claps can't handle.

I redid it and it was a lot better. Still think that it could be and should be better. I am using 3oz batting that I got with my machine. Not sure the brand or anything. I will have to check on the hopping foot. It doesn't seem to move the fabric when I stitch. I think I need to work a little more with the clamps, like get a yard stick or two.

Thanks,

Angela:cool:

Archived