Does chalk clog longarm motors?

barbm

Sharon Schamber was a guest speaker at our Longarm Guild yesterday and one of her declarations was that "pounce chalk clogs the motors on longarm machines - never use it!!!" I can't imagine that chalk on the top of the quilt is any harder on our motors than the lint from cotton thread, flannel backs, cotton batting, etc., but I thought I'd throw the topic out here - so whatcha think? Chalk, yes or no?

I'm guessing Sharon's actually worried about the hook assembly or the gear box, since most longarm motors are at the back of the head (and at the top), but still......

Hmmmmm.....

Sharon (bless her talented heart) does not build longarms. Maybe she is concerned about DSMs since she uses them as well?

Anyone need to replace ANYTHING because it was affected by chalk dust?

What do the engineers say?

Oh, I have one in the family!! I'll ask him!

Please hold......

Denny the mechanical engineer and machinist says-----

Chalk is much less abrasive than the carbon dust resulting from the wear of the brushes in the motor. So don't be concerned about chalk in the motor--as Barb said, the motor is waaaaay back there away from any chalk you use.

Plain chalk is non-corrosive unless it gets wet. Then it can cause rust on the surface it may adhere to because the moisture can stay in the chalk for a long time. I can't imagine how wet chalk could work its way into the motor housing. It won't affect aluminum, of course.

I use a spritz of water and a towel to remove plain chalk, but this is after I finish quilting and all chalk is well removed.

I will venture that Sharon might get some squeals from the machine manufacturers about this bold statement. And the chalk vendors as well!

Does she have any alternative marking tools she recommends??:)

Originally posted by barbm

.......I'm guessing Sharon's actually worried about the hook assembly or the gear box, since most longarm motors are at the back of the head (and at the top), but still......

........and this is why we routinely clean with air compressor, WD40 and oil. Keeps the gunk and goo from building up. ;)

Wow, I use white crayola chalk all the time. Someone told me (no clue who) that cheap chalk can have wax binders in it a make it harder to remove. So.. I just switched to the expensive kind! lol Sometimes I can be a blind follower. Good thing I am not a sheep!

I have used pounce for a very looooong time and never had any problems with it gunking up my machine. I do wonder what it is doing to my lungs. I think on this chalkie advice, I will not follow. I feel like white chalk is the only thing I can trust to come out!

I beg to differ with Sharon. I hope she does not mind. Countless short, mid, long arm and domestic sit-down quilters have used some form of chalk to mark their quilt tops for years and not experienced damage to their machines. Good common sense should prevail of course.

Keeping the bobbin race, hook area cleaned and oiled as it should be (chalk or no chalk) keeps machines functioning. Despite any chalk, lint, dust, thread debris.

I've used chalk over the years. Pounce and other types, and my machine(s) (sit down and frame machines) have been fine----

I asked Dawn about this chalk issue on a U2U. Didn't think she' mind my sharing. This is only for the Milli

Subject: Re: Does chalk clog longarm motors thread

To: Ferrari

Folder: Inbox

Sent: 3/14/2012 at 10:39 AM

Hello Carol,

I have used chalk for years on my APQS Ultimate I with no ill effects. The motors are indeed in the back of the machine, and are covered (however my old Ult. I has an exposed motor and it still functions fine except for the times my motor brushes have worn down). The chalk can't be any more hazardous than all the batting dust that floats in the air after handling cotton and blends.

That said, chalk does make the hook area dirty very quickly. It will help to keep that extra clean and oiled after using chalk, since the raceway can tend to hold on to those particles. On APQS machines, the gear shaft area is sealed, so it's ok to blow lots of air around the hook to keep it clean...nothing can filter back into the gearbox.

Hope that eases your mind! :)

Quote:

Hi, Dawn,

could you comment on the thread "does chalk clog longarm motors?

Does it ruin anything?

thanks,

Carol Haskell

Guest Linda S

I tried and tried to use chalk over the years, but just never had it stay very well (even the miracle chalk), so I went with the white Clover pens that erase with steam. They give a nice fine like and work well. No mess either!

Archived