Pricing Making a Quilt from Scratch

I have a friend who is a new longarmer and just completed a quilt that she made for her neighbor. She made the quilt from scratch (piecing, quilting, binding). And, the neighbor also wants pillow shams made. She has no idea how to price this. I know there have been posts in the past about this, but I can't find them. Can you give her some pricing ideas, so that she can present this info to the neighbor, rather than picking a price out of her head? Thanks for your help!

Joan, this must be at least a double if she wants 2 pillow shams.

Do you have the measure ments for it?

Believe me, timing a small quilt for a throw, has opened my eyes to the actual cost, including time of selecting and the pricing of fabrics, time to press, cut out, keeping in piles of the same fabric, or what pattern calls for, sewing including border time, assembling the quilt top, price of batting and backing, time for quilting, binding and delivery. On one QoV quilt I put well over 100 hours, in all. Oh yes include the time to wash the uncut fabric or the finished quilts.

I was stunned when I finished that one.

RitaR

Hi Joan,

I have made a few quilts on commission and i charge $27.50 - $30.00 per sq. foot this includes fabric, batting, backing quilting and binding. Sometimes i may lower or raise the price depending on design (edge - edge not custom). Generally works well , if it is a queen or bigger i sometimes add the shams in if they are like a pillow slip otherwise I charge about $75.0 - $100. each they are a lot of work also. Hope this helps,

There have been a few discussions on this in the past...let me see if I can find them for you to read...

http://www.apqs.com/quiltboard/viewthread.php?tid=24810&page=1#pid311400

http://www.apqs.com/quiltboard/viewthread.php?tid=23033&page=1#pid286362

http://www.apqs.com/quiltboard/viewthread.php?tid=15028&page=1#pid206163

These should give you lots to look at and think about....

I have quoted $25.00 per hour, (minimum) which includes everything, reading the pattern, cutting, buying anything I need, etc.

Someone gave the advice if I really didn't want to do the job, quote double ($50.00 per hour), which I might do on any other projects!

My latest custom I have quoted $2000.00 and she didn't batt an eye, thought it was very reasonalble considering it is a Mariner's compass, all pieces pre-cut. but no directions!

Joanne Flamand

Artistic Quilt Design

Between the skills needed and the equipment required, $25/hour is a bargain. Think how much a plumber charges per hours and his modest tools.

I have been $20/hour and am inching my way up.

Materials and supplies have to be additional, in my book. I can't find a way to do a package deal.

Good for you!

I charge $11.00 per yard of fabric to cover gas, time, washing and ironing. I will adjust this if I find a good sale - but for the quote, I use $11.00. If they provide the fabric, then I charge $25.00 to wash and iron.

For cutting and piecing I charge .03 to .10 per square inch for piecing depending on the pattern. Just the same as quilting - my reason is I have lots of distractions, laundry, kids, grand kids, dogs, phone, changing my book on tape to charge by the hour. This has worked very well for me. And 1 less thing to keep track of--

Then all the regular charges - quilting, batting, binding, label, etc.

The charge for pillow shams will need to be determined by the difficulty.

• 2 years later...

Julie Psarras will this help.  There were a few other topics but with the change to the new format they have Gooornee.

Did anyone keep on their computer the forum where Dave-Jane or Mr Margie ran the discussion on pricing a quilt top for piecing, designing quilting etc and we all contributed our thoughts.

I see you say that she "just completed" the quilt.  It would have been better if they had discussed the price up front.  The neighbor probably has no idea the number of hours that go into making a quilt.  I hope they can agree on a fair price and not have any hard feelings.

There have been a few discussions on this in the past...let me see if I can find them for you to read... http://www.apqs.com/quiltboard/viewthread.php?tid=24810&page=1#pid311400 http://www.apqs.com/quiltboard/viewthread.php?tid=23033&page=1#pid286362 http://www.apqs.com/quiltboard/viewthread.php?tid=15028&page=1#pid206163 These should give you lots to look at and think about....

I tried to open these threads and I was not able to do so.  Could you tell me what I am doing wrong?  I would like to read them.

Mary

I opened the Hunters Design Studio - What's It Worth Quilt Pricing link this morning - worth reading. I am so glad I quilt for me-myself and I, and have no desire to get involved with customer quilting. But, this said, the article and the additional link is really food for thought.

The link is "huntersdesignstudio.com/2012/11/08/whats-it-worth/ " - at the end of the article, there is another link to a 2nd article on the same subject.

I was once asked what one of my quilts (fully hand appliqued) was worth - I could not answer, I just said that it was almost impossible to calculate the number of hours spent doing the hand applique - without considering material.

Just my thoughts.

Sue

However she decides to do this, I believe that the more information and detail she can provide to her customer/neighbor, then the better both of them will feel. Whenever I am faced with this sort of thing, it really helps to itemize (in writing!) the cost of materials and labor with as much detail as possible. That helps me feel much more comfortable with the price I am charging, and I'm hopefully educating my customer regarding the many steps and materials needed to make a quilt.

Carol

Hi, Joan, I agree with what has already been said, especially talking about price before getting started.  As you may know I used to be a professional seamstress and have a lot of experience with pricing.  Customers never understood that when I made a garment for them that they were getting custom made and therfore they thought it should be cheap!  I am so glad not to be doing that gig anymore...  I learned to use a stopwatch to time how long it took me to make things and figured out what I wanted to earn per hour, did the multiplication and then backed off a bit as I still needed the business.  I know many think it is wierd to use a stopwatch, but I do it often out of curiosity when I am making a quilt for myself.  That way if I ever have somebody ask me to make them a quilt, I will have an educated guess at the ball park time.  I rarely quilt for others, but when I do I use the lessons I learned in my previous profession.  Perhaps when I quit teaching math, I will make an effort to do more quilting for others...

It was great to see you at the retreat a couple weeks ago.

Kathy

What we should charge and what most people are prepared to pay are sadly worlds apart. I rarely piece a quilt for a customer but the last I did a couple years back now was a king (uk king possibly your queen) with inch pieces in each centre of a 12 inch block. 36 blocks plus Sashings and pieced piano key borders, pretty time consuming. I longarm quilted it, bound it . Basically a finished product. I charged £615 for it and barely made minimum wage for my piecing time, my quilting time was my basic overall charges and binding fees etc, but it did pay my studio rent in a quiet month at that time. However most people walk away when that kind of price is mentioned.

My first paid quilt commission I decided to charge $15/ hr. When I gave my estimate my customer said are you sure? My husband said I could spend more!

So I was comfortable with 15$/hr then the next project I charged $20/hr and that works for me. I did charge $25/hr on a rush job too.

Be confident! Its not the price that we would pay because we can always make our own quilts! People want custom made one of a kind quilts and are willing to pay you for it.

Archived