Need advise - Quilt is sooo out of square

Oh ladies,

I have a quilt that is so out of square that I have never seen anything like it. It was made by a group of dancers (not quilters) for the dance coach as a wedding gift (end of December). I don't think I can quilt it square and would like your opinions on my recommendation before I send it back to the customer..

Side to side (in five places) Not too bad :o I could make it work

60.5"

61"

61"

61.5"

60.25"

Here's the kicker

Top to bottom (in five places)

90"

94"

92"

94"

96" ouch

Quilting requested is Rose and leaf border, sashing (which has gathers) ivy, berry vine, light echo in some of the blocks (customer identified)...

Here are some hanging pics... It won't even hang straight :(

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2412647260012556131xwDXkU

So I am suggesting that I can fix it for a healthy $$, since it will have to be taken completely apart to the vertical panels. It appears the vertical sashing was not pre-measured just put on as the sew as you go plan...

I really hate to send it back to them, cause I am fearful it will come back worse and there is a lot of cross stitch squares (unravelling) that will be damaged....

So this is where I need advise! What would you do?

ahhhhh :(

and I was ahead of schedule.. boo hoo

Thanks,

Teresa

I would call them and explain just as you have here how uneven the quilt is. Tell them it is impossible to quilt in it's current state, and tell them what you need to do to fix it and for how much. Don't give your time away, make sure you charge enough for it. Chances are they will not be a repeat customer, but they may show it to someone who could become a customer. I would think, since it is a gift, they would want if done correctly. If that is not satifactory, I think I would pass on it and refer them to someone else.

She's going pick it up, not happily.

I gave her options:

1 - she squares it, and I will help her measure and precut the sashing to help her square it after it was taken apart...

Now I thought that was pretty generous of me considering the time of year and it is a gift.

2 - I square it for a $$$

Oh well we'll see,

Teresa

See, Teresa, honesty is the best policy! I wonder why it is we (and I am including myself here, too) are so afraid to tell a customer the truth about a quilt. You wouldn't have hesitated to tell a friend that she wouldn't be happy with the quilt in its current condition. Why can't we extend the same care and thoughtfulness to our clients? I'm still trying to figure this one out myself!

Deborah

(born & raised in Lancaster Co., Va)

NJ

I'm so glad that turned out in your favor.

I think we are so afraid we are going to lose the business. I know for me, my calls are few and far between - my business is either very busy or not so very busy. Other, more established quilters say to turn the work away if it is going to be a problem. I should, because they are right, but I don't and then I fret over it. I just feel like I don't hae an good customer base yet to be turning work away. Still gotta make those payments on that machine.

You did good, facing the problem head on - a lesson for me to learm!!

I think you did the exact right thing Teresa:

The very first paying quilt I did, I had the same prolem (Customer was very new to quilting) I frogged the borders, then measured & replaced them in far less time than it would of taken me to get the top some-what staight on the frame. I didn't tell her what I had done untill after she paid me, she was very pleased, & when I looked in the envelope she had paid me an extra $20.00 as a tip.

Of course now I know that I should have called her & spocken to her first, & I will when it happens the next time.

I'm happy it all worked out for you, I would rather spend an hour or 2 sitting & picking than many hours standing & frighting to get it straight.

Rip-it, Rip-it Rip-it ;)

Archived