Thread problem when stitching right to left

My Green Millenium is running beautifully EXCEPT when I stitch from right to left. The top thread will occasionally gob up on the back and then break. When I slow down, I can hear the bobbin kind of spin funny (if that makes sense) just as the problem occurs. I have cleaned the bobbin cage area, I tried a new needle. I am using Bottom Line in the top and bobbin. The last quilt, I also had this problem and was using Bottom Line in the bobbin and Rainbows on top. Do you think I need to mess around some more with my tension or is there maybe a burr?

I think Sue is correct. It sounds like a bobbin issue, not a timing issue. Make sure the bobbin itself is in the case correctly and not backwards. Check the backlash spring as Sue suggested. If you think something is catching the thread, check for rough spots in the needle plate hole. Good luck!

Laura,

In addition to checking your bobbin backlash spring, you may have other factors affecting your stitching. You are experiencing something called "directional tension" which is commonplace on all sewing machines, both domestic and longarm. It is magnified on a longarm because of the speed at which you can move the machine compared to moving fabric on a home machine.

Have you ever noticed that when you use the "reverse" button on a home machine that the stitches don't look the same as going forward? The hook and needle are meeting in different spots, making it hard for the needle to straighten up in time to pull your bobbin thread up. Here's a checklist that may help you pinpoint the trouble.

Flat-lining and Railroad Track Troubleshooting.doc

Yes, thank you Dawn. Got the new hook assembly on today.

I will have a thick notebook when I get everything printed. Thanks for the instructions for changing the hook assembly. My son did the job for me as I do not see too well.

The retaining finger was a little too close on the first try, but it seeed to be sewing just fine when we tried it again.

Originally posted by DawnCavanaugh

Laura,

In addition to checking your bobbin backlash spring, you may have other factors affecting your stitching. You are experiencing something called "directional tension" which is commonplace on all sewing machines, both domestic and longarm. It is magnified on a longarm because of the speed at which you can move the machine compared to moving fabric on a home machine.

Have you ever noticed that when you use the "reverse" button on a home machine that the stitches don't look the same as going forward? The hook and needle are meeting in different spots, making it hard for the needle to straighten up in time to pull your bobbin thread up. Here's a checklist that may help you pinpoint the trouble.

Are these various tipsheets stored on the APQS website (or forum) some place? -- I am guessing there are others like this one, that we may find helpful and having a place to go to for reference would be great.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you Dawn for posting on flatlining and railroad tracks. I have a Lenni, using size 4.0 needle and Perma soft thread and bobbin. I am having trouble with flatlining. I will sit and read through your instructions. I don't get to go onto this site very often but I thank God it is here ...... I hope every one has a Blessed Easter and Passover.

Sandy

Archived