bump noise

I kept hearing a bump noise ever so often when quilting. I finally started paying attention to when it happened. It's when going through an area where 3 or more pieces are sewn together. Like through a 4 patch where there's more fabric pieces involved. Does everyone else's machine do this? I though there was something bad going on with my machine.

I don't know if it's the same thing but when I sewed through "intersections" of fabric while doing a panto this weekend, I heard what sounded like a bump sound too. When there wasn't multiple layers of fabric intersecting, it was as smooth and quiet as anything. I put mine down to the thickness of the particular intersections of fabric I was pantoing over, sometimes as many as 8 seams coming to a point. Hope this helps.:cool:

Linda,

Everything is OK with your machine:). However, your last post reveals an important clue as to why you hear the bump. When quilting very slowly, the motor power is decreased so it takes more effort to drive the needle through bulky seams. When moving faster the motor gains rpms and will penetrate the fabric layers more easily. You don't have to speed up, but you'll notice the needle will go through more easily with more speed. ;)

LOL Julie, please don't be jealous. These machines, while HIGH quality made, are all different in some small way. Lenni hasn't let me down since Himself found other interests and isn't tinkering here and there. lol, he can be a royal pain. :o))

I'd love to have a millie, but love my Lenni Penny!

RitaR

Archived