My first wholecloth....

I still can't quite believe I can say this, but here is my very first wholecloth quilt, I had major issues with my carriage (which is nearly going in the bin !!!) but it passes the 6 foot rule.... there are loads of messups, but the next one will be better. I could barely see my markings, so next time i will use a different pen too.

I am really a panto girl, so I am really really pleased with this one.

I know I have missed an area of pebbling, and will get it back on the frame to get those done.

I should credit Adam Chenevert whos DVD taught me how to design and draw this out from scratch, and after seeing Kays and other gorgeous wholecloths on here too which inspired me to give it a go.....

I have never blocked a quilt before, and was thinking of maybe shaping my edges - so do I block before shaping and cutting, or do I cut first then block?

post--13461908323971_thumb.jpg

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Absolutely stunning; beautiful! :)

Originally posted by Janette

...I have never blocked a quilt before, and was thinking of maybe shaping my edges - so do I block before shaping and cutting, or do I cut first then block?

I would block and dry first. Then mark the shapes you want for your outer border edges. Cut and bind.

this is gorgeous, janette! you have done a beautiful job.

of course, i have questions...

what kind of fabric did you use?

what kind of batting?

did you keep track of how many bobbins?

how did you mark it?

did you draw it yourself or was it a pattern you bought?

where are the missed pebbles? (jk - i don't need to know that - but you can't see them)

Originally posted by meg

this is gorgeous, janette! you have done a beautiful job.

Thanks Meg and everyone else for the kind comments.

of course, i have questions...

what kind of fabric did you use?

what kind of batting?

did you keep track of how many bobbins?

how did you mark it?

did you draw it yourself or was it a pattern you bought?

where are the missed pebbles? (jk - i don't need to know that - but you can't see them)

I used an ivory cotton silk fabric on the top and just a plain old white cotton on the back.

I used two layers 80/20 hobbs and dream wool

I think I used about 15 bobbins that I wound myself from Glide thread same as used on the top, I have used about 2/3rds of a 5000 glide cone I think.

The missed pebbles are in the third photograph towards right hand bottom corner !

I drew it from scratch (learned from Adam Cheneverts DVD) which was an amazement in itself, I never thought I would be able to quilt it ever....

I marked it with a fine line blue marker (although this was way too faint and I winged alot of it.... LOL) I traced over my paper design.

Ooh I can't remember now Meg, I am not at my studio so can't look, but it is an ivory cream colour. I will let you have the number of if I remember when I am at my studio tomorrow.

I am so high about this quilt today, and yesterday I was down about it not going well.....

I knew you'd say that Kay LOL...... I don't mean to be so fast... all those customer quilts are calling my name .... LOL I think there is still about 10 hours of quilting though..... and it is only 42 inch square.

Ben says he thinks it will look weird with shaped borders (what does he know right ????)

Although would it be hard to hang with shaped edges?

Archived