MagnaGlide Bobbins - Glide Thread

jrwsma

I was reading recently about the praises of MagnaGlide bobbins (also said they have tiny magnets that prevent bobbin backlash).

I was curious whether a bobbin with a tiny magnet would adversely affect George and, if not, whether anyone had tried these in George.

Also, any users of Glide thread in George? Pros or cons?

Thanks!

Guest Linda S

I don't have a George, but I can't think of any reason why they would adversely affect George. The purpose of the magnet is to give smooth, steady tension, and that is desirable on just about any type of machine. It might be bad if a machine were to have computerized components in the bobbin area, but I can't think of a machine that has a configuration like that. The pros of Glide thread are that it is beautiful -- mildly glossy, but not obnoxiously shiny -- and it is a nice strong thread. I just love the way it looks in quilts and I'm always a bit sad when a customer asks me to use a matte thread. I do, of course, generally use Cairo Quilt (another thread by Fil-Tec -- a cotton), for times like those. I just think Glide is prettier. If you go to the Fil-Tec page, http://www.bobbincentral.com there is a place there where you can ask for a sample. They will send you one or two bobbins to try. Then, if you like them, you can place an order. I haven't used any bobbin but the magnetic ones from Fil-Tec since I tried my first one!

Archived