Weighted Quilts for Autism

quiltingkimmy

Hello,

I am making a weighted quilt for a friend's son with Autism. The weight needs to be 10% of his body weight, so we will be adding pockets and using bean bag weights. I also purchased the heaviest weight Quilters Dream batting. Just wanted to throw it out there for any input before I start stitching....

Has anyone completed one? And if I can be so bold - any photos???

Thanks ladies!

Originally posted by dbz98236

I found this on the internet. http://www.allpeoplequilt.com/blogs/apqstaff/2011/03/31/weighted-blanket-pattern-from-funquilts/

Pretty interesting and it has a free downloadable pattern for the quilt.

I just typed weighted quilt pattern in the Google search.

Debbie,

Thanks for posting this information. I too was wondering about why the need for the quilt to be weighted. Having read this article it now makes perfect sense to me. One of my kids is ADHD and I can imagine that he would probably benefit from the weight. Even in the middle of a heat wave he will wrap himself in a quilt and I have never fully understood why. Now I understand even if he doesn't! I think I might try this for him.

One of our weighted lap quilts we use in our class (I work with children on the autism spectrum) has pockets with velcro so that we can maipulate how much weight is in it depending on which kiddo we are using it with at the moment. We then use small sand bag weights like the ones they put in ankle weights. Works well. It is a sensory issue and helps them to "feel" where their body is in space.

Hi Ani - The weight helps to settle the senses for those with Autism, or other sensory issues, it makes a world of difference in helping a little one be able to sit still (he has a lap pad that he puts across his lap at tables) and get relaxed enough to fall asleep.

I wonder about the cause too, I've heard about environmental theories, vacinations, but no one cause has been identified. More and more I've heard moms talk about fertility drugs and other medications taken during pregnanacy, I hope the research finds some answers quick!

I've made the blanket linked to for my son, who has minor problems processing sensory information. It is was to make, if time consuming, and beware. Those.little pellets gt everywhere! I love it for myself, too. Very soothing to sit with. If you measure out the pellets yourself, you will need to have a relatively accurate scale for small amounts. My son, who is 4, helped measure out everything into solo cups, which we then poured into the channels. Which, come to think of it, could account for most of the pellets that escaped. All told, for a 6 lb blanket, it took several hours of measuring and sewing and pouring.

Mandalei,

I'd love to see the link for the blanket you made - it wasn't in your post. Getting the kids involved is such fun, I looked into the pellets also. The little guy I'm making the quilt for asked, "Miss Kim - are you making me the magic quilt", and then got to work picking some fabrics!

I used to make these quilts for a friend's son. She said it made the kids feel more grounded and they were quieter and centered. Plus they were able to sleep better. I sewed pockets all over the quilts, quilted around them and added the bean bags after. The I sewed the devil out of the pocket closure because her son would pick them open if I didn't. I don't know if most kids do or not. I tried industrial velcro so they could be removed for washing but he was able to pick it open eventually, so she had me sew them shut.

Sorry, quiltingkimmy, I used http://craftnectar.com/2009/09/03/calming-the-senses-with-weighted-blankets/ which is a link to the website of Weeks and Bill Ringle, who have written a bunch of modern quilt books. The link to the PDF file is at the bottom. If I can figure out how to upload pics, I will post a few.

As for the increase of incidents in autism and spectrum disorders, the majority of scientific opinion is that it can be accounted for primarily by changes in the categorization of symptoms presented. For example, asperger's was its own category, unrelated to anything else. A few years ago, however, it was reclassified as one of the new additions to the autism spectrum, and increased the number of cases by a very large amount. The cases were by no means new cases, simply redefined and added to the count. You can see where this would look like a huge jump. Many more things now fall into the category of ASD or autism than previously had before, and kids who before would just be a little different are now identified with a specific disorder. And parents are much more aware of autism and spectrum traits and are pushing for evaluation where before they might have let things take their course.

--Mandy

I have a bag from the chirpractor that is like this. I love sleeping with it on my forehead even when I don't have a headache. I also have a throw with QD Deluxe weight batting that I like to use. It was a little stiff at first but I like the weight. Who knew? I have problems with panic attacks, I'll try getting those things out next time and see if they make a difference.

Helps me understand why I'd rather be wrapped in a quilt than just covered up in a " normal" bed style!!! Also why I like the weight of covers on me regardless of the warmth factor!!! Also like the feel (weight) of the dog on my blankets except that he doesn't stay still!!!

• 2 months later...
Originally posted by Georgene

I read on CNN the other day that autism has INCREASED 78% in the last 10 years. That's very scary. Something is causing it.

Yep! I blame Diet products. Since then, there has been an increase in gastoric, stomach, headaches,...problems thruout the body.

Ever notice, than when things were "natural" back in the 60's & into the 70's even, there were never the #'s in illness's that there is now.

Dont know how much water my deduction holds, but, that's my theory and im' stick'n to it!

I think the reclassification is the biggest factor along with people being more aware about autism and pushing for evaluation. Also, people are choosing to conceive later in life...establishing careers or getting married later or in general just having trouble conceiving. We had Peyton when I was 37 due to fertility issues and the risk factors rise as you get older. I have a friend with two autistic children. She did a wonderful job getting her kids evaluated early and because ofthe work shes done and the therapy, they are doing so well.

• 9 months later...

Yep! I blame Diet products. Since then, there has been an increase in gastoric, stomach, headaches,...problems thruout the body. Ever notice, than when things were "natural" back in the 60's & into the 70's even, there were never the #'s in illness's that there is now. Dont know how much water my deduction holds, but, that's my theory and im' stick'n to it!

Sheri, I have come to the same conclusion..........Diet products are making us fat and killing us !    If you really read labels and compare them, there are sooooo many hidden things in those FF, SF foods.  To make them taste half way decent, they increase the sodium or sugar in FF...........in SF, they also increase sodium and add all sorts of things I can't even pronounce.    I really believe that these products along with all the chemicals we ingest now days are the cause of many of our health issues............so much Cancer any more, the ADHD in kids, maybe even Alzheimer's...possibly the Autism, too!.........Three weeks ago I quit using ALL of the "diet" products.   I feel better, my hair and nails are better and I am satisfied with a smaller amount of "real food" than I was with a whole lot of the diet stuff.   I was constantly trolling for something else to eat because my body was lacking "something'.   My hair dresser even noticed a difference in my hair this week when I got a cut.   A good friend said back when the FF, SF stuff came out, she got on the band wagon and gained 25 # !   

I have made several weighted blankets.  Our GGD has sensory problems, low muscle tone and several other problems.  I made the blankets for home and daycare.  The Birth to 3 organization loaned me a sample so I made mine exactly like the ones that cost upward of $100. Yes they are expensive.

One side was cotton other side was flannel.  I sew channels and made long sleeves that fit inside with velcro closure.  Button holes and buttons hold the sleeve in place.  I used the little beads that are used in stuffed animals, purchased at Michaels.  Hope this helps.

post-1368-0-31761200-1365343245_thumb.jpg

post-1368-0-10805400-1365343309_thumb.jpg

post-1368-0-95372000-1365343731_thumb.jpg

post-1368-0-27204200-1365343741_thumb.jpg

post-1368-0-11929700-1365343751_thumb.jpg

post-1368-0-62997000-1365343761_thumb.jpg

Archived