top thread pulls to back at points

I continuously have issues with the top thread pulling to the back of the quilt at sharp points. This makes using different top/bottom thread impossible, even though I already know it is tricky.

It doesn't seem to matter what thread I use, top and bottom. It still happens. I use mostly MagnaGlide classics (magnetic core). The bobbin tension is adjusted about as loose as I would want to get it. When I adjust the top tension tighter, I get flat-lined stitches on the top of the quilt when going right to left or front to back. It doesn't seem to make a difference to hesitate a split second at the tip of the point..not to mention it is a real pain to try and remember to do that. Except for the points, the stitches on front and back look great. Any suggestions???

I don't know Lynn, are you quilting quickly? Maybe a short hesitation at the points would help? Also, I know that if you are going in a direction that is not the normal left to right sometimes that can affect the stitch as the needle is deflecting off of the bobbin in a differant direction...I would try loosening up the top bobbin a little and going a little slower and see if that helps.

Lynn,

Pulling at the points is caused by a couple of things, including what Vicki has mentioned (moving too quickly). Needle size plays a part, since the needle will whiplash with every direction change. If you are already using a 4.0 needle that should be good for most thread, unless it is thicker thread or rough thread. You may need to go up a half-step to a 4.5 needle if you have thicker thread.

In addition, the magna glide bobbins are wonderful. However, they may be contributing somewhat to your problem in this instance. The magnets do such a good job of stopping the bobbin overspin, that at the instant you stop to change direction, the bobbin magnet puts the "brake" on the bobbin. But it also requires a little tug to get the bobbin moving again. That slight resistance could be just enough to pull the top thread to the back of the quilt since the bobbin is holding on strong inside the bobbin case.

I know you don't want to loosen the bobbin case tension much more because you are getting flat lining on the top when you then try to compensate by tightening the top thread. It may be worth a shot to loosen the bobbin case just a smidgen more, but not tighten the top in compensation. See if it will improve.

Also, take a look at the tension control check spring. Its job is to tighten up the stitch as it is formed. When it is resting, the U shaped portion should align with 11:00 on a clock face, and as you sew it should come down to about 9:00. If it comes down lower than that, it may not be snugging up your thread at the points, and may need just a little more pressure. You will find instructions on adjusting the pressure on the check spring in the appendix in your manual. It will be in the section called "tension control disassembly and maintenance."

Keep us posted!

Thanks, Dawn. I'll try what you have suggested. It does happen with Bottom Line self-wound bobbins also. I am not a lightning speed quilter..so I don't think speed is the problem. I use a variety of top threads, from Bottom Line to Glide and it happens on all of them to some degree. I'll try adjusting the tension spring presssure. Everything else...I've pretty much done more than once.

I was thinking the same as Linda. I tend to tighten my quilt sandwich too tight and have to remember to check myself !!! I usually loosen the tension on the quilt a little less than I think is just right!!! If the quilt is ALMOST saggy then it is ok!!!

I loosened the quilt a bit, put in a larger needle and tried again. It is better, but I am still getting slightly flat-line stitches going right to left. If I loosed top tension, I get minor pokies on the back..not every stitch but once in awhile..maybe every couple of inches. Still playing with the top tension to eliminate the flat-line situation, but the points are definitely better. Thanks everyone.

Archived