Bobin Winders

I have a Milli that has the bobbin winder on the machine, however it is no longer winding my bobbins eavenly.

A few months ago I was looking at buying a winder but then went to prewound bobbins instead (which I do like), however I a finding that I do miss being able to wind my own bobbins.

Can anyone give me some suggestions as to a good reliable winder that isn't over $150.00?

Lib

I love our new Lenni....the bobbin winder that was included with the Lenni...not so much.

It is called the Sidewinder...I think by Wrights. I would not recommend it. We have had issues with tension, uneven winding. It sells for $79 on Nancy's Notions website.

It just doesn't perform like we would like.

Definitely like prewounds, but we have an M size bobbin, and M prewounds are expensive.

I really haven't had any experience with any other bobbin winders except the built in Gammil winder. So I can't recommend one in particular.

I do know there are several different brands on the market. Most in the $100 range...

Good luck in you search.

Lib: Ray at Quilt Tech in WI sells bobbin winders (along with a lot of other stuff). I think he offers one with an independent speed control for about $120. That's what I would buy. You set the speed on the speed control and walk away til the bobbin is full. A lot better than pressing a foot control to run the machine. With the speed control, the unit runs at the same speed (what ever speed you set it at) all the time. Your bobbin gets wound the same all the time.

All the stuff Quilt Tech sells is good quality. I've bought a number of items from Ray. He's really helpful. Just call him if you have any questions. Good luck in your search. Jim

Buslady - I am not sure what pin you refer to. I have L size bobbins. I use the aluminum bobbins. Someone on the forum here told me about the Gammill winder. I did not have a machine I could use. If you do decide to buy one, it does not come with directions. You need to go online to see how to thread it. Mary

Dear Lib: I have used a variety of bobbin winders, while working with embroidery machines for a commercial embroiderer, and at a workshop with upholstery, and also with friends set ups, I'm so very glad I got the turbo winder from APQS, it is totally adjustable as to so many issues, and if I pay attention to what I'm doing winds perfectly every time. I'd try to get a used one or save a little more for a new one. I do know that when ever I've heard of a friend having lots of thread problems more times than not, she has a problem with bobbins if she winds her own. They absolutely have to have even stable tension to let the stitches flow evenly. Most of the problems in one friends case were in the first 1/3 of the bobbin winding, so you could stitch ok for the first 2/3, then it all fell apart for her. When I looked at the bobbin, the rest pulled off very badly.

See if you could ask around for a used turbo, they are made to last, the most you might need to do is a little adjustment. Pat

don't know if you made your purchase yet but I got a Bengal I stand-alone that is really amazing. It's way turbo. Get it on ebay - it's new, never used. Don't do the buy it now, do an auction. Might take a couple auctions to get the price you want. I got it with shipping for $85 or so on my 3rd auction attempt.

Archived