Sign in to follow this  
chrisquilter

Another kind of patchwork

The night time temps have been dipping in to the lower 30's in Ohio so my nephew, also our gardener, covered our Huge Strawberry bed with every sheet I own. There are even some in there that I do not recognize! I hope our neighbors are not missing some sheets from their clotheslines.:P The perennial bed was left to fend for itself except for the Bleeding Hearts. They are still looking good. As I look around our 4 acres, I am seeing more mounds of sheets and towels. Oh Lordy, the laundry!6921565272_cc7ecf5a68_z.jpg

200 by chrisquilt00, on Flickr6921569806_205da67d14_z.jpg

201 by chrisquilt00, on Flickr

FFE992D1FB7A16BDBE9FDE1627DBA781.png ? Chris Landis

2001 APQS Millennium

Quiltizoid

www.facebook.com/pages/Feathercreek Quilting by Chris Landis

Oh Chris that looks just like my place!!! I have not told you all but my first hobby gone wild was a little greenhouse. Now I have two big ones and I call it Grandma's Bloomers...lol Anyway, the greenhouses are full and the driveway/parking is, too, and so I had to cover all that plus the beds that I thought might get frozen last night. Thank God nothing was damaged that I can tell!!

Spent quite awhile this morning hosing down all my hostas, peach trees, peonies, and shrubs to keep the frost from killing them. My fingers are frozen but hopefully I have saved most of the plants. I made a pretty picture in my nightgown, boots, and hoodie standing with a hose in the semi-dark. I'm sure my neighbors have something to chuckle about this day.

www.webshots.com/user/victoriasews

www.Fiberobsessive.blogspot.com

Innova and Intelliquilter

Chris, beautiful pictures (of the plants and flowers!) Thanks for sharing them. Don't worry about the laundry, just hang them on the clothes line to reuse as needed until about mid-May then toss one or two loads in between sessions. The bleeding hearts are wonderful. I haven't been able to keep any going for may years at a time here. I've had both the white and the pink over the years.

5F4695C433F08F453B8C5F9813B2BCC7.png

My Bleeding Heart looks about like that...........a little droopy, but I think it will be OK. We had some fruit trees with blackened leaves though. Crazy weather...........80s one day and 20s the next. We didn't try to cover anything..........trees are too big anyway. I don't have any other annuals out yet. I don't get excited about that until at least Mother's Day. I've been caught too many times, so I just wait.

D7F6E8B831DDA5A10DA95B7BBCD5C9C7.png

APQS Millenium and Quiltazoid

Originally posted by Della

Oh Chris that looks just like my place!!! I have not told you all but my first hobby gone wild was a little greenhouse. Now I have two big ones and I call it Grandma's Bloomers...lol Anyway, the greenhouses are full and the driveway/parking is, too, and so I had to cover all that plus the beds that I thought might get frozen last night. Thank God nothing was damaged that I can tell!!

That is so funny Della, because one day I left the house and when I came home, there was a lean to greenhouse on my courtyard! DH at it again! A real greenhouse would be wonderful. I want the lean-to off the courtyard! LOL Before that, it was the addition of bee hives. Unfortunately, it was bad year for bees because of the mild winter(go figure) and we have to replace a hive. We are waiting for our BOX-0-Bees even as I type this.

FFE992D1FB7A16BDBE9FDE1627DBA781.png ? Chris Landis

2001 APQS Millennium

Quiltizoid

www.facebook.com/pages/Feathercreek Quilting by Chris Landis

Wow! I can only imagine how pretty your place is, I would love to have a place with a couple of acres to play with!

7CB1BF7B399CF481C4AED78FE8002A31.png

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Our turn tonight for low temps.....I have been caught, took 30+ large (100 lbs) pots out for the spring, will need to bring them all in again tonight...UGH luckily am between bulbs and azaleas +lilac, not yet roses, peonies and daylillies. Will need to cover just a few things. We have permanent plant covers (never use them for anything else), the weather is so very silly in GA...:D

I can say that the orchids, clivia and lantana did look fabulous while they were out the last 2 weeks!

I quilt year round, I garden most of the year, between the two, never a dull moment:cool: Pat

I'm sorry for all the sheets you will have to wash, but it will be so worth it when you're eating those strawberries. I have a35 ft row of June bearing strawberries that usually start coming off the first week in May. Yesterday, I picked one ripe one and had several more starting to turn. It's been so warm here in Oklahoma, I hope we don't get shocked with a late freeze...fortunately, I have a 30 ft tarp I can use.:)

Debbie