my 30s swap is a quilt!

DoodleBug, the Baptist Fan looks great! I can't imagine free-handing that design, so WOWSA, excellent job!!!

My blocks came in the mail yesterday and I just picked them up this morning. I got blocks all the way across the oceans from Japan and Australia and from the upper part of our continent, the North Pole and Canada.

All the blocks I received are fabulous. Thank you, ladies. This is truly and international quilt. I can't wait to find time to put it together and get it quilted.

I too was playing freehand baptist fans last week. The custoner wanted red thread, it had wide red ricrac in places so had to be quilted from the front. Different coloured asian fabrics, so the baptist fans worked.

My idea to do these came from 365 days of quilting patterns. Bonnie Hunter has an article on hand quilted freehand baptist fans.

post--13461908424254_thumb.jpg

Shannon, Thanks for doing the block exchange. Received mine on Friday, can't wait to play with them. Almost done piecing a quilt top that has 4,500 plus pieces in it! My goal is to finish that today. Missing a Twins game today with my DH as I'm not feeling that great :( , so he took our oldest son with instead. So like off to finish then to play with the blocks....

Wow I can't wait to get mine together! I see my block too! Took my set to the retreat this weekend. I didn't get to sew them together, but I had to look through each and everyone to see what we got. Then the other ladies had to touch and go through them all too! What fun! Yours is amazing and I hope I can do my justice as it's wonderful and deserves something special here. thanks so much again... I can't wait for the next one.

Carol :)

Originally posted by lindasewsit

How in the world did you do those Freehanded? I really want to know!

here's a drawing of my stitching path. every other arch is a trackback on the supporting arch. i stop and started each row of fans. i got about three rows of fans before i had to advance the quilt.

i tried to keep the archs at 1 to 1.25 inches wide....

i'll add- i've been practicing this on paper for a couple months (while the deadline of the swap ticked by)...

post--1346190842512_thumb.jpg

Archived