MQX - Where were you all?

Guest Linda S

I looked for you all at the food places at noon on Thursday, but could find no one, so went to dinner with my roommate Thursday night. I didn't meet anyone who identified themselves as an APQS person except, of course, those I knew in the booth! :( Sorry to have missed you.

Linda, I am sorry that we missed you....:( As Heidi said we met and then went place to place looking for somewhere to sit until we finally found something out by the chocolate booth! Although we stood in line and bought our food back at the food area in the show...

I hope you enjoyed your time there and took some good classes!

Guest Linda S

I looked in the back and up before the fifth floor and by the chocolate booth, but couldn't find anyone. I finally went and ate my little lunch in the lounge on the fifth floor outside my classroom where I had a one o'clock class. Sorry I missed you all. I tried -- I really did!

I agree. NH was cozy and welcoming, with lots of places to find friends. Even though it was a bit tight, the crowded spaces made it exciting and fun! I miss what the show called the "MQX Experience"...maybe they will find a better place for the future. There was a lot to love at NH.

Sounds like only 5 or 6 APQS chatters went...could that be true?

Guest Linda S

The experience in RI is a lot different. Not only is the space huge, so the show seems small by comparison, but some of our favorite vendors are now retiring, so they were not there. I especially missed seeing Michael and Kay from CircleLord this year. Over the years, they have become such nice friends, and I just love to stop and chat with them. I'm sure they'll still be selling their designs on the internet, but hauling all their stuff to big shows is tough. Also, Christian Lane Quilters was not their with their Fat Backs, and I always stop in and get a few quilt backings from Wilma and Jim. I know Wilma was coming for classes on Friday and I hoped to see her, but I didn't. Maybe with the economy the way it is, it would be time to head back to New Hampshire. I do love the Radisson staff and the whole venue there. It was so fun. Still, I had a wonderful time at MQX East. As I was telling Libby, I go mostly for the great classes and to see my friends, both old and new. I check the vendors for new things. I do drop a little money here and there -- I bought the most awesome pair of "ruby slippers" -- dansko clogs in patent red marble -- but I order on line at home from the vendors a lot because I don't have to pay the RI sales tax that way. Oregon has no sales tax. I did also get a bunch of pigments from Sherry Rogers-Harrison. Her coloring class was so fun. EDIT: ACK! I meant SO FUN! You folks have to try this class. It was a blast.

Remember -- when you go to a huge show like MQX, you are taking advantage of the organizers' work of bringing in great teachers from whom you can take classes at very reasonable rates. Think about the times that teachers have visited your area. Generally, when they come on their own, their classes can be $200-300 a pop. At MQX, MQS, HMQS, etc., you get the chance to take a lot of classes in the $50 range. The shopping is a real bonus. You can try the machines, stop and feel the threads, pick up parts, and even find wonderful fabrics, patterns, etc.

Some said MQX seemed small to them, but by the time I had made one run through the quilts, I was POOPED! My feet hurt, and I needed to sit down. I'm not all THAT old yet, so it couldn't have been that tiny. ;)

I was there on Thursday but didn't see anyone that I recognized. I got there at 11a with some friends and was in a panic that I wouldn't have enough time to see all the quilts and visit all the vendors that I wanted to see. Unfortunately many of the vendors that I was hoping to visit were not there, or I just missed them somehow, but I don't see how I could. I still can't get used to having show quilts mixed in the same area with the vendors, maybe that's just me, but I didn't think there were that many quilts, again maybe that's just me. I left by 1:45.

Dianne

I was there, but did not arrive until late afternoon on Thursday. I'm sorry I missed all of you, but I did look around at all the people seeing if I recognized anyone. Guess I need to get my own picutre on this website soon:o ... and especially before the next big event that I go to!