Can you say bad border day

Kim Brunner showed a pretty full border for a quilt on one of her dvds teaching how to deal with quilts with "issues". She did piano keys, and filled every other one with a stipple. That really sucked a lot of fullness out of the border, but this one looks so bad tucks may be the only answer. Whew.

Good luck! And show us how you coped.

This one is a lot better than the one I did last week. All 4 borders were more than 3 inches wider than the center. No choice but tuck them all, I sew them on the DSM before loading. My customer was happy, I feathered the borders as requested & that made the quilt "happy".

Let us know how you fixed the issue.

Corey

My last quilt had alot of fullness in the borders. I used my straps on each side to give a little pull on the top and bottom borders and for the sides I stuck some wadded up batting under the top roller at the spot of the border and this gave a little more smoothness to the border. This being said, I didn't turn my quilt, I just advanced it, I just did swirls in the borders. I hope this makes sense. If you do this don't forget to take wadded up fabric out from under top roller before you advance your guilt as I sometimes do. LOL

I'm working on one similar right now. It was made by a quilting friend's granddaughter. The granddaughter did a pretty good job of keeping her top squared up, but then "Grandma" decided it needed borders ! Grandma WILL NOT measure first or pin, she just starts with a long strip, sews to the end and then cuts it off. All the while, she is stretching the side of the pieced top. When done, the borders are way too full. This one, the top border and one side were pretty good, but the other long side and bottom were horrible. I had to take tucks and then did a small meandering design to suck it all down. I even added some extra batting at the bottom to try to help. Thankfully, the border is a batik with a lot of design, so the tucks aren't TOO noticeable. As I mentioned Grandma is a QUILTING friend who also owns a Handi Quilter 16 machine ! She should know better. I can't imagine she doesn't have trouble with her own quilts. Although, she mostly does small crib size quilts now and sends anything larger to me. She is 83 and has always done this, so doubt we will change her now. :(

You could also do a zig-zag loop type that will quilt the border. Sorry, my drawing isn't very good. I have used this on full borders and it tacks them down without too much trouble and you can manipulate the fullness, leaving the piecer to finish easing all that extra fullness when attaching the binding :) The loop shapes will also mimic the oval designs in that light colored fabric. Good luck!

post--13461908431907_thumb.jpg

Thank you for all your encouragement. You have given me the nudge I need to finish.

I have the top border done with leaves and flowers but suspect I will undo that and piano key it so I can get the bottom and right side to lay down.

Myrna I will put your DVD on while I take deep breaths for a refresher.

The corners are mitered, and not even so I could tell as I went down the quilt I was going to have some problems they just ended up being worse than I had anticipated.

Bonnie, I am using Hobbs Tuscany Poly. This is the first time I have used and it quilts wonderfully but I think it might be too puffy for all the ruler work I did.

I hope to have it off the frame today and will take some pictures. She also pieced the backing and that was a nightmare also, had my very first pleat in the backing ever which I hand sewed down.

I too just finished a quilt that had borders like ocean waves. Beautiful quilt otherwise. I used my fluffiest batting which was Dream Puff and then did a pretty good size meander. By guiding with my right hand and keeping things under control with my left, it came out pretty good. Only had one spot that had a little bubble...bottom line, customer was happy....which made me happy as well! lol

Archived