Question about leaders

juden99

Ok, I have attempted to straighten my leaders. Now I am wondering, the sides of my leaders are uneven. So, when ever they were attached years ago (bought machine used) someone serged the edges on the sides but they aren't square with the top and bottom selvage attached to the rollers. Should I take them off, rip the sides to get a straight edge? I am considering getting the red snappers or leader grips. So I would need to sew a casing...which if it goes like my trying to sew a straight line for the leader edge...will not turn out very well. I have a 14ft machine Ultimate I. Renae's leaders only come in lengths to fit 12' machines.

So, my question is the leaders sold on the APQS website...are they squared already?

Trying to decide what to do.

Thanks in advance

Judy

Judy,

When you get the leaders from APQS the edges are serged but are not necessarily squared. As the canvas feeds through the serger it can wander just a bit. Your canvas leader side edges most likely never did stack precisely on top of one another. We have found that as each individual handles the canvas, they will scoot one way or another depending on your dominant hand or the loading method you ultimately choose. That is why we don't have people worry about the canvas left and right edges...but the center marks must always align with each other.

Dawn, thanks for that info, it is a great help. On my steel table and now on the my new Bliss frame, my leader side edges have never completely stacked on top of each other when rolled. Now reading what you wrote it makes sense that it is more important that the centres match.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived