oakshott cottons

hi everybody....

i've been seeing so much mention of the oakshott cottons on the blogs i read from across the pond....

i'm wondering, are they available anywhere here in the states?

do any of you know where i could get some?

i would just love to feel what all the fuss is about. the colors are great.

are they much different than kona solids?

thanks for any tips.

happy sunday!

meg ;)

I think that fabric is called shot cotton here and Kaffe Fassett has shot cottons in his various fabric lines. The warp and weft are different colors of usually hand-dyed thread so you get a sheen depending on the angle of light. Google shot cotton to see lots of chatter and sources.

Very nice, very expensive and only available from the UK. £15 per metre

Also available are super organic cottons from www.fairtradefabric.co.uk and shot cottons from Kaffe Fasset. Thing is - these are woven in India using old fashioned foot looms. They are shot, like shot silk but prone to fraying!

wow - i googled shot cotton and, surprise, surprise, dame linda is right. there is lots of info out there for me. i think i shall order a small piece to give it an upclose lookie and feel...feel is so important to me.

and thanks kath for the tip...i'm wondering if it's softer than a kona. do you remember?

Hi Meg, strangely I cannot remember what I used it for, it was a long time ago. I think it would be quite soft when washed. I was very tempted a couple of months ago to buy the special. It was a fat eights pack of every colour but I resisted. Like I need more fabric :P

yup - i'll be ordering a dibble on my next order - just to see for myself.

i'm just so curious about them...

the bloggers RAVE...and if they are soft...YIKES...i might love them.

thanks for the advice!

Originally posted by quilted charm

I just bought some of Kaffe's and I was surprised at the thin feel to the fabric, but love the color and it sewed up quite nicely. Haven't quilted it yet. It almost has the feel of batik, but without the stiffness to me.

if you remember, which i completely understand if you don't cause i probably wouldn't, let us know how it quilts up.

the gorgeous color is enticing, soft is great, thin is ok, fraying is misery.

i can't wait to try these now.

do i really need more fabric? ....NO....

i think i have a mild addiction problem here. :o

at least its something harmless, i suppose. ;)

I love Cherrywoodd, love the touch & feel of this dyed cotton, very rich & saturated. Yummy. I have it in deep chocolate, turquise, black and a whole two bags of "crazies", it's a class by itself. I have collected it over the years and will be making a quilt out of it. Hopefully soon.

I have some of Kaffe Fassets shot cotton also, that I will dare to use, I am not used to this type of fabric, beautiful even after washing although it seems prone to fraying, have to starch heavily.

Corey

Originally posted by KathG

Hi Meg, strangely I cannot remember what I used it for, it was a long time ago. I think it would be quite soft when washed. I was very tempted a couple of months ago to buy the special. It was a fat eights pack of every colour but I resisted. Like I need more fabric :P

giggled when I read this Kath, I bought them a couple of years ago when they were at Edinburgh, went into my retirement stash........think I might be able to use them now!

Archived