My Turn to Ask for Your Help

Holy Smokes! You are all amazing!!!!

Things have been a little hectic at APQS the last day or so and I haven't had a chance to get back to the Forum until now.

You are right....I guess it should be an all day class! :) As I drove to the factory yesterday I got to thinking...if I did get 100 questions, that's still just over a minute per question! Guess I had better talk on fast forward!

These are all terrific ideas and I will do my best to cover as many as possible--not only in that class but as a service to all of you through our APQS Forum, YouTube Channel, and more. Your suggestions for a booklet, CD or videos are great, as well! We'll see if we can turn some of these topics into great webinar classes...which is one of the goals I have for the upcoming months.

Thanks to all of you for answering my plea for help!!!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ha! :P What's that old saying... "Be careful what you ask for... you just might get it!"

Anyway Dawn, I am excited to know you plan on sharing some of these. Maybe you should write a book. Hmmmmmm? OK Maybe I should ask that in question format:

Dawn, would you write a book?

(be careful what I ask for ... I just might get it!)

Just to get another one going on this, why do us red headed quilters volunteer to get buried in commitments? Do other hairs have any particulars to attribute to?

Do hair colors effect the completed project?

Do long hairs vs short hairs quilt differently?

Does certain hair color need more of Sylvia's techniques to keep on track?

Hope I don't get in trouble for this! LOL---grasshopper

Dave, as a semi-blonde, I can answer that question for you. Yes, hair color does determine how much chocolate and wine you need to make it through a day! One bar of chocolate and 2 glasses of wine just get me started! When asking for a glass of wine, I like my glass to be about the size of a Mason jar! Red hair runs in my family so I can testify for them too!:D

• 4 months later...

Dawn, I can't come up with any questions different from what have already been asked. All wonderful questions. But I would definately love to have you write a book or make a DVD or BOTH!! I would definately be first in line to purchase them! The webinar is a great idea too. Thanks for being so willing to share.

kinda sounds like a recipe book :D

Originally posted by Dave-Jane

Let's make a helpful hints book and credit all authors of input used and have it published, you could start with a request through Fons and Porter and of course all the lovely people on this site and it could somehow be generalized to apply to the many machines out there. Possibly a contest of sorts with some of the proceeds leading to a prize.

Oh nuts, I'm thinking again and my brain hurts!! Ha Ha---Dave B.

If you don't want to get this carried away you could also include tips on area set-up. fabric stash storage, organizing your customer quilts and due out dates, etc, batting racks for the sewing area,thread display and storage, forms to aid in the process, advertising, customer lists, just anything that would be helpful.

if you r a winemaker...there is no such thing as too much wine :D ur saliva is the best product for removing blood stains

Originally posted by ffq-lar

Following Sylvia's lead ;)--

How much wine is too much wine when you are doing a panto?

How often should a careless quilter get a tetanus shot due to sewing through an appendage?

In that vein *snicker* what is the best product for removing blood stains?

Where should I hide the half of my thread stash that my DH doesn't know about?

Is chocolate really the answer to everything? (Yes, yes it is. I answered that one for you. You're welcome.)

How do I keep track of which customer I used which excuse on? You know, "Irma, I'm sorry your quilt will be a few days late. My (pick one--MIL, boss, DH, neighbor, ex-husband) (pick one--fell down, has cholera, needs a ride to the airport, won the lottery) and I must help them (pick one-- recuperate, spend the money, with the dishes) so I'm afraid your quilt will not be ready until next week. I hope that's OK?" Would a chart work or should I use a computer program?

All in fun, everyone!:P;):P

• 3 months later...

All great inputs. Dawn could you list what questions you have so far? A list of the most common abbreviations would be great, LA, DSM, CC, E2E, CL, etc (I think there's a listing here on the forum somewhere). What about needle sizes and suggested use. Along with needle size, I would list both LA and DSM size chart. Titanium versus Steel needles. Max size without having to change machine timing. Oops, gotta run to a meeting, lol.

Please put together a book with all these answers!

Ok here I go:

Do I have to buy special thread or can I use piecing or serger thread? What is the difference between winding my own bobbins vs. prewound? Cotton vs Poly thread? Best way to keep my machine free of lint? Do I have to use a special oil for my machine?

I am sure I will have more later.

Good luck with this project!

Archived